Drowning: A peaceful way to go?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I need to confess something. I have become adicted to nitrogen narcosis.
Are there any twelve step programs for divers. I know the problemb is bigger than I am.

that's common.

I'm like that too. You have to watch yourself closely, if you are a bliss bunny.

make rules for yourself before going down there.

There may not BE a 12 step program for Narcing, but you can FOLLOW one. You took the first step in admitting your a narc'y. (I don't know the rest of the steps, BUT) one thing I DO know is you should never get narced again. Its like a drug user getting clean and then going back for just ONE MORE hit. One of the other steps is to stay in frequent touch with a "Sponsor" (someone who understands your situation, usually another reformed person, and you call them (although I think in your case you should dive with a buddy that knows your narc tendancy and forces you to stay above narcing range) and confess you were thinking about it, or you DID it again, things like that. Stay off the bottom man. I can honestly say that I have never been narced, but believe it would be a LOT of fun, so I stay away from such things. Find the 12 step plan for AA and CONVERT it to your narcing situation. GOOD LUCK! If you want someone to talk to, PM me and we will get in touch, and perhaps I can put you in touch with a 12 stepper in your area.

patymeboy:
I need to confess something. I have become adicted to nitrogen narcosis.
Are there any twelve step programs for divers. I know the problemb is bigger than I am.

There's always NNA (Nitrogen Narcosis Anonymous). However, I think you need a Narc Cert to get into the meetings...

SparticleBrane:
I'm now going to hijack this thread...
What about "instant" deaths? Are those "painful?" If you are shot in the head (and assuming instant death), does this "hurt"? I would imagine that you would be dead before the nerve endings would have time to transmit the pain.
Thoughts?

I was shot once and didn't know it until I saw all the blood. No pain at all for me, but I guess it all depends on where you get shot.

Jcsgt:
I intend to avoid it as long as possible. Too much to do and see.

I agree. YOu don't get a chance to practice it till you get it right.

harleyxx:
I was shot once and didn't know it until I saw all the blood. No pain at all for me, but I guess it all depends on where you get shot.
Also dependes on your adrenaline level and wether or not the tissue is beat "senseless"..
Often when youre getting hurt, you dont feel it at all untill some time later, if at all..

Your absolutely correct. I sure felt it later!!! Especially when I poured alchohol in the wound. I think that brought me out of my shock.

next time you get shot. head down to 150 feet. sea water is better than alcohol. The cold will num the pain & you will start narking out. You won't be feeling any pain.

Hi to all,
just stumbled on this old thread.
When I was 19, I drowned after getting stuck underwater a bit too long.
The experience was a rollercoaster of feelings. Just before I started gasping for air, my lungs were tingling and burning with the same type of sensation you get when you inhale the CO2 gas coming out of a freshly opened bottle of fizzy drink.
The first gasp filled my airway with a dose of cold water, which hit me like being stabbed with a cold knife, and during the next 10-20 seconds or so my throat locked-up with a choking feeling. I was in a kind of a convulsive endless loop between coughing and gasping for more air, but I could not really inhale much at all.
Maybe 10-15 seconds before I blacked-out, things loosened up and I suddenly felt euphoric, and I sucked-in a couple of breaths of water. That wasn't too bad as it felt like I could breathe underwater. Then blackness enclosed in on me and the next thing I knew there were people around me and I was on the grass, coughing and gasping.
Luckily, no permanent effects except for a mild lung infection, which took a couple days to get over.

Anyway, not as peaceful as you may think, but not as bad as some people think either. I think near-drowning experiences get a little over-dramatized sometimes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom