Drug Violence near Cancun

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lamont

Contributor
Reaction score
Mexico: 6 bodies in cave, 3 with hearts cut out

CANCUN, Mexico – Police discovered six dead bodies in a cavern near the tourist resort of Cancun on Sunday, three of them cut open and their hearts removed.

Authorities are investigating the identities of the four men and two women found dead in the natural cave, said Francisco Alor, the Quintana Roo state attorney general.

"They were apparently tortured and their chests were opened to remove the hearts," Alor's office said later in a statement.

Three of the bodies had the letter "Z" carved on their abdomens — a possible reference to the Zeta drug gang, though officials did not make an explicit connection to cartel violence that has plagued many parts of Mexico.

Mexico: 6 bodies in cave, 3 with hearts cut out - Yahoo! News

Damn! Hate to hear that. Similar problems are rare in the area, but they can happen. The soldiers seem to keep the tourists safe enough in tourist areas with the common risks being alcohol abuse and the like, along with some local safety issues at some locations - it ain't Disneyworld for adults, but the active war is often not far away.

But I also read in my paper that 4 were killed in Miami and 3 wounded. So that doesn't seem much different to me.

Also I live in the Houston area and heard about people be killed here everyday.

On the comparison note. No one was killed or tortured in the Florida Keys last night.(plus no oil)

But I also read in my paper that 4 were killed in Miami and 3 wounded. So that doesn't seem much different to me.

Also I live in the Houston area and heard about people be killed here everyday.
Sure, drug war deaths and others happen all over the US, indeed one can make a case of the problems in Mexico are a direct result of US laws that drive up the costs of recreational drugs. Good example of why I avoid much of Miami, Houston and many other places.

The big difference is disclosure. Our US news media may not be dependable, but at least they have the rights and desires to publish info, and we have the Free of Info to fall back on if needed.,

Mexico is a wonderful place to visit, but they do suppress news that is bad for tourism business, as do most tourist destinations. We need to know what parts to avoid and sharing info here is helpful.

Four drug war deaths happened on Cozumel a couple of years ago too. I didn't feel any less safe going there, but I wanted full info - which was difficult to obtain, and then that thread vanished from the Coz forum without notice to the thread originator?! :confused:

I wonder if this has anything to do with the Mayor of Cancun who was running for governor of Quintana Roo getting arrested on drug related charges? Perhaps retaliation from his compatriots?

I hadn't heard that. Found it: The Associated Press: Cancun mayor charged with ties to drug cartels Google maps has the location of Cancun wrong; nothing new there.

While Mexico is also a country of united state, they operate with more national control at many levels so whether or not this is politically motivated or a true problem, hopefully the Federal government can keep the area safe for tourism. Not that I trust the Mexican government in the least, no - but they have too much invested and too much income from the area to let it go bad. 40 years ago there were only 3 people on Cancun island until the Bank of Mexico (branch of national government) put money into development to attract tourists.

Yep, last year or the year before the mayor of Cancun was murdered and thought to be drug related. I know that the year after Wilma, when we went down that the entire demeanor of Cancun changed. All the prices went up considerably. I think in part of the hurricane, since everything was damaged, but it was and still is my opinion that that is when the drug money started pouring in. Legitimate investments in real estate, clubs and such. It felt more like Little Miami than the Cancun I had known before. It was only a matter of time before the violence that is occurring everywhere reared it's ugly head. :shakehead:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom