Drug Violence near Cancun

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The map is pointing to Ciudad de Mexico where the story originated, not Cancun. Google maps has it right.
:silly:

Lets just hope the Hurriacane season is not as bad as they are saying its going to be in the Atlantic. This would be bad news for Fla. La.,Miss, and all of the Mayan Rivera Including Coz. and Cancun.

Four drug war deaths happened on Cozumel a couple of years ago too. I didn't feel any less safe going there, but I wanted full info - which was difficult to obtain, and then that thread vanished from the Coz forum without notice to the thread originator?! :confused:[/QUOTE]
Can add another one from Sunday

Por Esto! | Yucatn

Coz & Cancun rarely get hit by hurricanes really.
Four drug war deaths happened on Cozumel a couple of years ago too. I didn't feel any less safe going there, but I wanted full info - which was difficult to obtain, and then that thread vanished from the Coz forum without notice to the thread originator?! :confused:
Can add another one from Sunday

Por Esto! | Yucatn
:shocked2: Wow!

Last edited:
right!! and everyone thinks it just the media's fault...BS...it will only be a matter of time until these people start in at the tourist resorts...like I have said..no more vacations for me in Mexico until this gets sorted out.!!!

Sure, drug war deaths and others happen all over the US […]

The big difference is disclosure. Our US news media may not be dependable, but at least they have the rights and desires to publish info, and we have the Free of Info to fall back on if needed.,

Mexico is a wonderful place to visit, but they do suppress news that is bad for tourism business, as do most tourist destinations. We need to know what parts to avoid and sharing info here is helpful.

Actually, Mexican newspapers such as Por esto! are very famous for their drug war related stories. Plenty of info to be found if you read spanish, they even have their daily edicion on the Internet. You can hardly accuse the Mexican government of "suppressing the news" if those informations, which are widely available in Mexico, don't make it in US newspapers.

There are cartel related deaths in Quintana Roo and Yucatan as well as in many other parts of Mexico (although less so than in other states such as Sinaola), but if you don't work for a cartel, there is no reason why you'd become a target.

right. Are you kidding? It's about MONEY and if you are a tourist there it will soon get to you. Wake up and stop thinking its only about drugs and that if one has no invlovement in drugs it doesnt effect them!!

You're right it's about money. It's about which cartel gets to control the main routes of trafficking. And the killings are about retaliation for being on someone else's turf, or trying to get info from the "competition" (hence the torture), or punishing a "traitor".
And yes it does affect me as a human being to know that this is going on.
But it doesn't affect my safety as a tourist or traveller there.

Yep, last year or the year before the mayor of Cancun was murdered and thought to be drug related. I know that the year after Wilma, when we went down that the entire demeanor of Cancun changed. All the prices went up considerably. I think in part of the hurricane, since everything was damaged, but it was and still is my opinion that that is when the drug money started pouring in. Legitimate investments in real estate, clubs and such. It felt more like Little Miami than the Cancun I had known before. It was only a matter of time before the violence that is occurring everywhere reared it's ugly head. :shakehead:

I have seen this a couple of times at Mexican resorts. When the number of tourists goes down, the prices go up. The 2000 New Year's party that didn't happen is another example.

One other thing that most of us miss is that the cartels are no limited to drugs. One big profit center is human smuggling from Cuba. Lot of money to be made getting people into the US.

Overall, the Mexican police do a pretty good job letting the hard core criminal element know that the tourists are generally off limits.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom