Dry Hood

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

imasinker

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I recently bought a Bare Trilam ATR HD drysuit, I don't have the suit yet and will be a first time user. My LDS is going to give me a session how to use the suit. My question is this, Does the dryhood work the same as a wetsuit hood by allowing a layer of water to keep your head warm? It also says the hood is vented to allow air to vent I guess should your suit burp through the neck seal?

Any feedback would be greatly welcomed.

Wet suit hoods don't keep you warm with a layer of warm water (your wetsuit doesn't either) they provide insulation with the air that is trapped in the neoprene. They also limit the amount of new (cold) water that your skin is exposed to.

I have a Latex dry hood on my Viking and under it I wear an open cell liner. You might need a vent but, I find just rolling over and looking at the surface occasionally vents it. I have also dove with a purge valve mask and I didn't get an air bubble in the hood in fact my hair and liner where dry at the end of the dive.

Hope you enjoy you new drysuit.

The air doesn't come from air burping out of your neck seal, although I guess never say never, but more from when you are in a face down position, your exhaust air when you breath out throught your reg, passes over your face and some sneaks into your hood through the seal around your face. It's kind of annoying as it can be enough to mess with your bouyancy.....

Thanks for the response. So basically with my dry hood I shouldn't worry about to much water comming in then. I won't be using the suit as a bouancy compensator just enough air to keep warm and release a squeeze, so I need not worry about air burping from the neck seal, althought your right never say never. I have the Bare tech dryhood with zipper comming with the suit, anyone ever use it?

I won't be using the suit as a bouancy compensator just enough air to keep warm and release a squeeze

Just my opinion but, I use just enough weight that I don't have much more air in my suit than to relieve the squeeze. It's much more comfortable/efficient to not dive with a big bubble in your DS or you BC. I should say that I dive single steel tanks so this might be different given tank configurations etc. When I found a weight pouch on the middle of a dive (extra 8 lbs) I did put some air in my BC to compensate (can't leave tresure behind).:D

For what it's worth, with my dryhood (Viking drysuit) I find that the air gets in there on purpose. I do it to relieve squeeze, and you will too. If you don't and you have a good seal you'll find your ears being in a very painful condition, it'll feel like an icepick being stuffed into your ear.

You're familiar with clearing a mask? Well, what you do is put pressure on the mask in such a manner that when you exhale out your nose the air goes into the hood relieving the squeeze there, plus it can be used to fine tune your trim if you want. Basically the air goes up and out the top of the mask into the dryhood. I wear my mask under the latex of the hood so that I have no leaks. Others I know wear it outside and that won't work to relieve squeeze. It could be I have a better seal than others do, but someday somehow you will feel the icepick if you don't get air in there. Either past the neck seal or the mask.

I just ordered my drysuit and I am trying to decide on what type of hood to get. I don't know if the dryhood is worth the extra money.

Welcome to SB imasinker! Congratulations on your DS purchase I know you will not regret it! I to purchased a Bare DS and a Bare Tech dry hood it has served me very well! I have a very good friend at my LDS who set me up with all the necessities. I really think most of your questions will be answered in the training etc. For me gloves were probably the toughest! I love being dry but dry gloves were not very comfortable for me personally. I have been diving semi-dry gloves and love them. Cold water is awesome and there really is no end to dive season when you dive dry. Have a great time and good luck! CamG Keep diving....keep training....keep learning!

For me a dry hood is nice. Why have a drysuit and get wet? Get a dryhood and drygloves, it's perfect. Of course you lose some dexterity with the drygloves, but it's nice to have hands stay warmer than with a wetsuit glove.

I tried two different latex dry hoods, I didn't like either one of them. Both kept my head warm, but neither kept my head dry. The first was definitely a tad big, and the second while it fit better wasn't snug enough either. For me the feeling was somewhat constricting, much like wearing a 6mm hood with a skirt that I used to tuck down in my wet suit.

I've since cut the hood off and gone back to wearing a 6 mm hood with the bib cut off. For me its more comfortable and not constricting.

Unfortunately the only way you will know for sure is to try it and see if you like it. Good part is if you don't, a pair of sheers will remove the problem in about 60 seconds :D

Back
Top Bottom