• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Dry hoods

Discussion in 'Exposure Suits' started by rjack321, Nov 6, 2018.

1. kotik

kotik Solo Diver

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    I was thinking earlier that you might see if you can contact someone on that team for some advice. For something like this, someone might be willing to share the benefit of their experience.

For sure it's a serious undertaking you're looking at- if your existing suit poses an obstacle to a safety measure, you might look at it as a good excuse to bump up your gear collection.

2. rjack321

rjack321 ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    Well I can't exactly order a custom suit from Finland to get the hood they are using (nice as it might be for serious arctic dives). I have a DUI CF200 right now which is leak free, standard silicon zip type neck seal with the option to zip on a latex dry hood. Sitec rings with dry gloves.

I do know some Scandinavians whom I have asked as well. SB was just a worldwide venue for input on options.

3. taimen

taimen Rebreather Pilot

Sure you can get one if you want. This is a global venue after all :) Some of the divers in "Diving into the Unknown" may occasionally use wet hoods too in cold conditions, but the Loitokari dryhood is the standard around here so all dryhoods you see in that film are those. I am not yet up to that level in my diving but my cave and rebreather instructors are both featured in the film.
    Loitokari makes full suits with their dryhood (full suit is latex, quite ugly but very functional, dry and warm, I can seriously recommend one) and they sell hoods separately that can be attached to other drysuits. Other usually means Ursuit or DiveRite 905, both are made in Finland by different companies. I am sure any shop that is capable of doing major drysuit repairs or alterations could install one to your suit. DRIS for example as Ursuit service center should be capable of doing it (lots of dryhoods are installed to Ursuits at the factory).
    Seriously, if you want the hood others are actually using for extended arctic cave dives, just PM me and I will help you. As a fellow scubaboarder, I have no affiliations with any of the manufacturers or anything.

wetb4igetinthewater and rjack321 like this.
  4. rjack321

rjack321 ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    I'm going to get my head measurements and to order one of their hoods. I'm not sure if I will install it on my existing suit or a new one. I've been looking at the Ursuits already so this might be a good opportunity to make a "cold project" drysuit. Thanks for the offer to facilitate!

5. taimen

taimen Rebreather Pilot

If you decide to get a new Ursuit, you can ask Loitokari to make the hood and send it to Ursuit and they will install it when they make your suit. That is how it goes and everybody involved know what they are doing. Measurements for the hood are quite simple. When you get your hood, you may have to trim the face seal.

rjack321 likes this.
  6. tikarttu

tikarttu Tech Instructor

Taking measures for Loitokari dry hood and suit:

Underwater:

7. 3D diver

3D diver Solo Diver

Brrrr...I don't think I've dove below 9C, myself.

8. taimen

taimen Rebreather Pilot

9C is toasty..

rjack321 likes this.