Dry Mouth

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for all the help. I should mention that I didn't drink any sea water, it was just letting a little water in my reg. and a swish and spit.

We always travel with jolly ranchers. You can suck on them between dives to help create more saliva. You could also suck on one while you dive just be careful when you go off the boat to not choke.

I had the same problem during my Open Water course. The LDS had the big old Cressi regulators. When it came time for me to get serious and get my own gear I did a lot of research. I found the Sherwood Oasis regulator keeps you from getting dry mouth. I don't know how it works, but it really works. I don't have dry mouth any more. I have about 50 dives with it, and just love it.
Maybe someone can explain the mechanics as to why and how this regulator
works to keep you from getting dry mouth?

I had the same problem during my Open Water course. The LDS had the big old Cressi regulators. When it came time for me to get serious and get my own gear I did a lot of research. I found the Sherwood Oasis regulator keeps you from getting dry mouth. I don't know how it works, but it really works. I don't have dry mouth any more. I have about 50 dives with it, and just love it.
Maybe someone can explain the mechanics as to why and how this regulator
works to keep you from getting dry mouth?

I have the Maximus from Sherwood and also don't get a really dry mouth sometimes. My understanding is that there are fins in the second stage that cause the moisture you breath out to condense in the reg instead of being breathed out. This condensation then moisturizes the incoming air helping to prevent dryness.

I should have mentioned that it is an expensive fix, but for me it has been worth every penny. I was considering not diving any more because of dry mouth and throat.

well...this is one of the main problems with diving on Open Circuit scuba as compared to a rebreather...though a rebreather costs a heck of a lot more for equipment and training classes.

All the ideas are good...though I personally recommend drink lots of water before and after the dive...it does help...

though, if you keep getting bad cottonmouth, try spitting or any of the recommendations above. To be honest...the Starburst was pretty creative...I never thought of that but now I have to try. Though if it dislodges it'll cause you to choke...but I have to try just to say i did :)

Metal-bodied second stage regs are less prone to dry mouth

I have one of these on my doubles, which I got from www.wreckdiversupply.com

It leaks a bit below ~50m but above that it works well

Attachments

• l_bladdersm.jpg
    l_bladdersm.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 50
If you are thirsty, you are dehydrated.

If you have enough spare water in your body, it will compensate by moistening your mouth.

If you're diving and you don't feel the urge to pee, you're dehydrated. Most folks with dry mouths do no have the need to urinate.

A simple and obvious equation.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom