Dry Suit advice, part B: undergarment advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

...//... As I understand it, I'll want a wicking layer against the skin, and a more serious insulating layer for warmth.

I agree. Layer.

People's cold tolerance is all over the map. Useless to try to get a consensus.

...//... Any recommendations for a good first set of undergarments? Any bad experiences you feel like sharing?
Finn mom tipped me off to Aclima Hotwool in one of her old posts. Forever thankful. That is always against my skin.

Polartec on top if conditions warrant.

Finn mom tipped me off to Aclima Hotwool in one of her old posts.
If you're able to get Aclima Woolnet, try that as your base layer. It's pure genius. Then use the HotWool outside the Woolnet. I use Woolpower as my second layer, but it looks as if it's pretty much similar to HotWool.

You're welcome. I ought to get a discount from Aclima, I've been an active promoter of their Woolnet products since they hit the shelves quite a few years ago. I use it around the year for diving, in the summer under a very thin wool set and my neo DS, the other three seasons as my base layer under my undersuit with varying amounts of wool terry (Woolpower, Aclima Hotwool or similar) between the netting and the undersuit. Topside I use Woolnet as my base layer for hiking and hiking-related activities from Aug/Sept to May/June. I'm a dedicated fan. Right now I'm on my second set, after completely wearing out the first one I bought.

Thanks again for the details. I'll share too.

For those of us stuck in the US, these guys figured out ordering, shipping, VAT, and US state sales tax: vince@nordicoutdoor.co.uk

Good to know. FWIW, "Aclima" does give a few hits on eBay for some hot wool items, including a shop in the UK with reasonable shipping charges to the US. No hits for WoolNet, tho.

Is the WoolNet against your skin itchy at all?

Is the WoolNet against your skin itchy at all?

Not to me. At least, not particularly and not when the garment is fairly new. After a couple of years with regular use and washing, it becomes a little bit more of an issue. However, different people have very different sensitivities towards wool. I'm probably somewhere around the middle of that scale. OTOH, I prefer some slight itching once in a while compared to the icky feeling of stinky polypro, yucky polyester or downright cold and icky cotton when my underwear gets damp. And you just can't avoid your underwear getting a bit damp. Whatever fiber you choose, stay way away from cotton as your base layer. Cotton is OK for a summer T-shirt, but for outdoor activity it's the ideal fiber for staying cold when it's cold. The only garment I don't prefer in wool for outdoors use are my boxer shorts, my b*lls get too itchy.

There is no one right fiber for a base layer. When my activity levels are high, I prefer polypro as my base layer due to its superior moisture transport properties. However, at low-to-middlin' activity level (which is typical for scuba diving) wool is my fiber of choice. Every time. With a huge margin.

dberry, I have used Thermal Fusion in Silfra, Iceland, and it was 2*C=35,6*F. One of my gloves leaked and my undergarment got wet up to the shoulder and further. It was not a huge problem, I even made a second dive, just exchanged the glove. Thermal Fusion is a good undergarment, indeed, albeit somewhat tricky to don, as is the Fusion itself. Just get those very warm Polar socks from Whites. Warm feet are a blessing in icy water.

Thermal Fusion is a good undergarment, ...
Haven't tried this. Skeptical, though. I DO like their Polartec as an outer layer:

Polartec® PowerStretch (560 gm/m2), all¬way stretch polyester/lycra blend, pill-resistant watershed outer jersey and plush velour lining (copied from their website)

But I don't want that against my skin.

I vastly prefer Merino wool. Wool netting makes sense, more open air space and less contact area. But I just can't seem to believe that it would be more comfortable than the comfy Hotwool "loops". I guess that it is something I just have to try. :D

What is the Thermal Fusion inner layer made of? I'm guessing polyester blend. Do you know?

Back
Top Bottom