Dry suit choice for PSD work

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PSDguy

New
Reaction score
Hey, Im debating on a new DRY suit. Im looking at a Viking Pro 1000 and a BARE XCD2. Im going to buy the BARE Hi-Loft thermal's unless you guys and gals have any other suggestions. Thanks for your time.

If budgets allow, then I feel you cannot go wrong with either a Viking for PSD work. Our team purchased USIA Drysuits a couple of years ago and we really like them. You can order a standard suit with a couple of modifications for a very reasonable price. Since we do dive, swiftwater rescue, and river rescue, the USIA was a better choice for us.

Another team we work along with has several of the Bare suits. I just feel the USIA will hold up better over the long haul.

I believe that Gary D's team also switched to USIA suits over DUI.

Dan

What size are you? I have a size 3 Viking in my consignment room a guy dropped off...He has a price of $1250 on it...new seals all around....I can get you some pics if your interested? It has the hood attached, thermals, gloves, bag everything...

Mike

Viking's are the easiest to decontaminate/dry and are tough as nails.

Our guys prefer the latex hood w/ the inner latex neck seal instead of the "turbo" hood

My team is looking into purchasing suits at this very moment. We are looking at Viking Pro 1000 and the USIA public safety diver dress. Gary had been helping me with some details on the USIA. Our local rep brought one by the other day and I liked what I saw. I am just trying to figure out which way to go on options. Keep us informed as to what you do.

Mark

The teams by us all use the Vikings....some have used the USIA and claimed they liked the Vikings better....this could just be because they like what they are used to though and comfortable using. From what I hear from the teams we service, they will stay with the Vikings....I know from reading, Gary really likes the USIAs he got though.....

PSDGUY- I just replied to your PM, let me know if you have anymore questions

Our team is using the Viking suits too. As BRIDGEDIVER pointed out, they are "tough as nails" and hold up well. We are working around razor sharp oyster shells, barnacles and urchins. We have never had a puncture or cut deep enough to cause a leak. Additionally, the vulcanized material is easy to decontaminate and this suit is recommended for diving in polluted environments.

They also make a ring system that allows neck seals and wrist seals to be replaced in the field. The Delray Beach (FL) Fire Department uses this system and each diver has been issued his own neck seal so a single suit can be shared by multiple divers. It is a pretty neat feature if multiple team members are using the same suit due to budget constraints. Naturally, it doesn't compare to each member having their own suit but this is a reasonable option.

Lt. Blades Robinson, Marine Rescue FTO
Fire Station No. 2
3301 Bridge Plaza Drive
Vero Beach, FL 32963

LAT 27°39.133'
LON 080°22.261'
ICW Marker 140

wrobinson @ ircgov.com
http://www.irces.com/Fire_Division/Ocean_Rescue_Training.htm

Most PSD's I have encountered in central VA use the Vikings, our team uses interchangeable neck and wrist seals.

Back
Top Bottom