Dry suit dilemma

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here is what I have and what I paid. Look into Ebay. If you know what you want, you can save a lot of $$.

DUI CLX450
Brand new uncut seals
Sport Package (added second thigh pocket included in price)
$1150.00

DUI TLS350
Brand new uncut seals
(2) thigh pockets
$850.00

DUI CF200
Less than 20 dives
With dry gloves and extra pair included
$810.00

DUI CF200
16 dives on suit
Zip seals on kneck and wrist
$935.00

Even the used suits turned out to be just like new. I have purchased ALL of the above suits for not much more that what some guys pay for ONE suit.

All fit me as if custom cut, as I fortunately fit a stock size large perfectly. I have yet to sell off all my rock boots, so I will actually recover a little cash back.

I like different things about each suit. The TLS is great for its weight and fast drying. However it is a colder suit during the winter as it is so thin. The CLX450 is great but overkill for some diving, it is also a bit heavier and takes longer to dry. The CF200's are just great, I like them the best for all around diving however they are heavy when wet.

You can get a fantastic drysuit for far less than you might think. I would go for the best, and search to get a great deal on it.

As for getting a suit custom fit.... sounds great in theory, but I have heard horror stories regarding less than perfect fits. If you fit a stock size..... you are way lucky.

Good luck and let us know what you get!

As for taking a class? I say do it. You will get to interact with someone who knows drysuit diving, and start drysuit diving with some confidence, which may in your case make a difference. You don't want to have a bad experience and then be turned off to diving dry. Also if you ever need to rent a drysuit (while yours is in being repaired, or you don't want to take it with you on a trip), you may find you need a certification to do so. Some LDS won't rent you a drysuit if you can't show them a card.

I just helped my dive buddy purchase a brand new DUI CF200 siganture suit for $1250.00, it just happened to fit his measurements exactly. This was found online from DUI and the price was negotiated down and actually purchased through our LDS. This was a $2800 suit.

The reason I purchased the second CF200 is that I wanted to purchase some replacement ZIP seals. Well, for the price of the zip seals it just made sense to spend some more and get a whole new drysuit. Granted, it was quite a bit more than just a pair of replacement zip seals..... but then again, I can subtract the price of zip seals from the last CF200 and smile at what an attractive price I got the drysuit for. I would have been paying around $300 or so just for spare wrist/neck zip seals! So $600 or so for my second DUI CF200 like brand new is just rockin.

Help!? I need to purchase my first drysuit. I work in shallow cold water (45-50 degrees). I need to remove/get into my drysuit 2-3 times daily, alone. I need one easy to get into (single most important factor) and durable, I do not swim, my area underwater is limited to 20' for about an hour. some flexibility required, strange sometimes tight positions. Unable to use gloves, manual dexterity a must. In contact with slightly abrasive surfaces, but this adds up in time. Looks and appearance of fit not at all important. Suggestions please!!!
Which type is best suited? Which seals are better for me?

Dondl,

elaborate "slightly abrasive" surfaces. If you need to remove and get back into the suit I would recomend a DUI TLS350. It dries almost immediately and is very light.
However... I am not sure I would recommend it for abrasive situations. Just go with wet gloves and zip seals. If you tear a seal you can easily replace it on the spot. You can use a reef glove which is very thin and will give you excellent dexterity.

My next choice would likely be a DUI 50/50, but it is going to be pretty heavy and hold water longer (take longer to dry).

Maybe a Viking rubber suit also would be a good choice.

Are you cleaning boat bottoms?

Instead of a brand, I need specifics. Which type of material and why. The surface is usually concrete or coated, sometimes smooth, sometimes slightly textured. Nothing to do with boats. Legs usually rub when upside down. Which type of suits can I wear sweats with? This will reduce prep time since i'm in them to begin with. Which types are easier to get in and out of?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom