Dry suit dump valves question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dbittner

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Most dry suits I've seen have the dump valve on the upper arm -- the so-called "chicken wing" configuration. Some, however, have the dump valve on the lower arm. What are the advantages/disadvantages of each configuration? Is there any strong reason that makes one diver prefer one placement of the dump valve over another?

Thank you in advance for any wisdom you can share.

Dave

My first drysuit had the dump valve on the upper arm. Once I learned to dive primarily in a horizontal position it sucked - it was positioned such that I had to roll sideways to get it to dump. So when I had some other work done on the suit, I had the valve moved to the forearm. Once I got used to it, I liked it!

I recently got an unbelievably screaming deal ($330 including shipping) on a brand new Diving Concepts suit on ebay.... that fits even better than the $2000 "custom" one I had to have sent back 3 times to get it to sorta fit. Anyhow, it has a "cuff dump" valve on the forearm. It's not adjustable, but because of the position, it won't dump unless my arm is raised. It's slower to dump than the one on the old suit, but again, once I got used to it, I like it. A lot. It's a lot smaller than the shoulder dump valve and doesn't get hung up on stuff like the harness when I'm donning or doffing my rig :D

Sorry to hijack - Snowbear, which suit did you snag? The DC 2mm neoprene one?

Thanks. Looks for the measurments the suit is a Large. I wam looking for an XL. Dam, how did I miss that. (maybe bc it was under BCDs)

Thanks

Spectre:
I know there are a number of threads addressing cuff dump vs. shoulder dump. You should be able to search out some great info. Here's a start:

http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=86547

Thank you very much for the link to a previous thread on this topic. I'm new to ScubaBoard and still learning my way around.

One really great thing about any thread is the list of recent similar threads at the bottom of the page. Thus, your one link actually led me to five others.

Thanks again,
Dave

i just had the same question about a month ago, i read more forums and thread on that subject and even called over 25 dive shops around the country and every single one of them had ther own opion, i went with the shoulder dump and like it but there are alot of valid argumenrts for both , good luck

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom