Dry suit flooding

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HI,
I just done a leak test this morning on it with soapy water and nothing, no bubbles wiered :confused:
The only thing I can think of which springs to mind :idea: is I wasent using it properly ( underwater)
Tony

Col.Maniac once bubbled...
HI,
The only thing I can think of which springs to mind is I wasent using it properly ( underwater)
Tony

In that case, it must be water coming in under the seals. You said rubber - so i am presuming you mean latex (thin and black) rather than neoprene (as both come under the umbrella title of rubber :) )

Wrist seals can leak, especially if you have sinewy wrists. I sometimes have problems when I have to grip something tightly and the tendons in my wrist create channels for the water to run through.

A solution to this is to push the seals a bit further up your forearm away from the flexion area of your wrist.

If you hold hands with yourself :lovey: then try to flex one wrist whilst pushing back with the other one, you'll see the flexor tendons in your wrist become prominent - if you create any large channels or dips, there's your leak, try to get the seals past this point.

For you neck seal, all you can do is ensure it's flat (unless anyone else has better advice).

HTH

Dom :nurse:

1.5 hours in a warm pool, if you were swiming around then much of the moisture is more than likley sweat.

Get some good wicking long underwear to use, even when the conditions will be to warm for your liner.

If you saw no leaks on tthe suit then I would suspect this could be a portion of you problem...

Hope it is something simple...

Jeff Lane

I forgot all about that Jeff, nice one.

When I got my suit, I did a weight check in the pool at the LDS (which is heated to 30C) and ended up quite soggy after about 10 minutes of almost no activity, wearing a tri-lam and undersuit.

Dom

Hi Jeff, Nice idea about sweat but sorry no, it was defently pool water I had to ring my T shirt out it was full of water :)
Tony,

P.S The more messages that keep comming is starting to sound like problems with me using it, and not the suit.

I have done all the tests as people have suggested and done a pre dive check.

P.P.S Just a thought would overinflating a suit cause leaks by putting pressure on the exit points creating air escaping and water entering?

P.P.S Just a thought would overinflating a suit cause leaks by putting pressure on the exit points creating air escaping and water entering?

I suppose it's possible, but I think you'd have to be blown up like a Michelin man :) and obviously not underwater unless you're seriously overweighted.

From what you've said, I would think wrist seals - not so much doing it wrong, but more fine-tuning :D

Dom

What kind of seals does it have?

My Bare has latex wrist seals and a neoprene neck seal lined with latex. This must be rolled under about a couple of inches on the neck to seal properly.

I was diving the suit in Catalina a few weeks back with out a hood. Don't especially like hoods and keep getting a leak at the neck seal when I bent my head to look under rocks for wildlife. It was suggested to me by another experienced drysuit user to USE the hood, it would help seal the neck. She was right! No more leaks after that.

my 2cents...

Hi ABQdiver,
I did not roll the neck seal under, I stuck my head through and just pulled it down below my addams apple to make it more comfortable :) and left the "edges" of the neck seal sticking up

It has got what looks like 1mm ish cuff seals and a thin neck seal not sure the materal type i thought it was rubber but could be latex ( never seen latex so dont know what it is like)

It has got what looks like 1mm ish cuff seals and a thin neck seal not sure the materal type i thought it was rubber but could be latex ( never seen latex so dont know what it is like)

Do your seals looks something like these?

If so, you definately have latex seals.

Dom

hi,
answer to questions-
Is it a suit with the new apex low profile exhaust. Yes. Did you leave the exhaust valve completely open? Don't know answer to that one. 'edited for effect'

I have found that if you dive with the new apex low profile in the full open position (completely counter clockwise) it will slowly drip water in. Two clicks clock wise and it stops.

I have this valve on two of my drysuit and have had the same problem with both. By closing it just slightly after my descent The leak went away. No need to fully close it just take it off the full open position.

Another thought is don the suit and have some one look at the neck area as you strech, turn, and rotate. Sometimes the muscles and cords in the nect create small folds that create a leak

Hallmac

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom