Dry Suit Hose

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kenny Lee

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
To deal with the cool water in South Cal, I dive with a dry suit most of the time and therefore has a drysuit hose permanently attached to the first stage.

When the weather is nice enough to dive wet suit, is it OK to left the host attached to the first stage? I just wonder if it is better to just strap in the extra host or keep taking it off and on teh first stage.

Appreciate your advice.

On the rare occasion when I dive in a wetsuit, I just leave the drysuit hose attached to the first stage. It tucks in between my BP and wing and doesn't really flap around much (as observed my buddy). If you really cared about it, I suppose you could attach a bolt-snap to the hose and clip it off to your BCD somewhere. But if you're going to go to that much trouble, you might as well just remove the drysuit hose and replace it with the appropriate first stage LP plug. It would only take a minute to do. If you're the kind of person that isn't comfortable adding/removing hoses on your regulator, then I'd just leave it attached. This advice assumes that you won't be diving in any environments where the loose hose is an entanglement hazard.

One other consideration is that if you dive with your drysuit hose disconnected, be sure to soak the hose end in freshwater during your post-dive rinsing. If you fail to rinse it properly, the head of the Schrader valve inside the hose end will corrode.

The answer will be clear to you on the day that you drove an hour to the dive location, only to gear up in your dry suit and discover that you forgot to re-attach the dry suit inflator hose to your first stage.

Just leave it attached to the first stage.

If you don't need it, take it off. Its a 2 second thing. Throw it in your drysuit bag so if you forget to reattach it, at least its with you.

I try to stay away from "good enough" whenever I can.

I take it off and keep it in my reg bag (though the drysuit bag may be a better option since my regs rarely actually make it into the bag... thanks for the suggestion Adam). Forgot to take it off one time and it annoyed me.

I also take off the argon mount from my plate when not using it. I don't imagine I'd ever get hung up on it, but it's no sweat removing it, so why not?

That's just me, though. Some people I dive with leave it on and I'm not going to pester them about it.

If you will be using the drysuit with any frequency just find a way to restrain it out of the way and leave it alone. be sure to make the QD connector part of your regulator soak & rinse.

If you have a true off season for diving dry or need to deal with airline weight restrictions remove it.

Pete

Here at home, I usually dive dry year around. For those rare one-off occurrences where I do dive wet (singles rig), then I just leave the hose on. I loop it around the neck, then tuck down behind the wing so it stays out of the way.

If I'm traveling to a warm water destination where I know I'll be diving wet the whole time, then I'll remove the hose and leave it at home.

You could also just tuck it under the bicycle tubing on your corrugated BC/wing hose. I began diving dry after 800 wetsuit dives in SoCal and have no plans to ever dive wet again. :)

I have no experience with dry suit hoses or equipment installation... So, with that being said, is there any concern that you might accidentally cross thread the hose or cause any premature wear to the threads or seals?

Dan

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom