dry suit inner compression?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lermontov

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
jsut wondering if theres life on the inner before replacing - Ive noticed ive been feeling a bit colder lately in my dry suit - might be a number of things but someone suggested it compresses with age after repeated dives?
not sure - ive done about 250 dives in and usually dive to about 30-35m in 14º c water after about an hour ive had enough so now Im trying to fudge times and depths to reduce deco and not get cold (for obvious reasons) id rather do the dive i want to do and do the deco in relative safety

have considered a heated vest but pricey - at present experimenting with more layers underneath- ok but not satsified yet - if I put on bulky stuff its warmer but I lose mobility

dry suit is an otter with beaver undergarment
thought?

I don't know what your suit is but I'd try some long underwear.

Neoprene drysuit?

All underwear wears out.

I will bet you ten million dollars.

Although, my Dad has some underpants that appear to be from the sixties, but they actually may, and appear to have been, left by space aliens...... But, alas, I don't know the code.

Oh, and yes, drysuit undergarments wear out, especially in the dryer.

Trilaminate cannot compress as it is already compressed. Just wear more undergarments!

I was told that in time my thick fusion thermal undergarment will pack down due to repeated compression. I suspect it will lose some thermal efficiency when that happens. I would recommend wearing the waffle pattern type underarmor base layers under your inner suit to see if that helps you with warmth. It stands to reason that if our undersuits require loft to help them provide thermal capacity that they will be negatively affected in the long term as they pack down and become matted/less thick.

-Z

Just like sleeping bags, drysuit undergarments - or topside outerwear - which rely on a fiber filling to provide insulation will lose their thermal efficiency over time. That's just one of the many facts of life. It goes faster the more often you wash the undersuit, which is why I don't wash mine before SWMBO starts complaining (and she has a fairly sensitive sense of smell, so it isn't as if I'm stinking up the neighborhood). Using a base layer under the undersuit keeps most of the smelly stuff in the base layer which can be washed more often, and I wash my base layer after every outing/trip.

Properly handled Thinsulate will last 1 to 1 1/2 seasons before it needs to be replaced with new.
The proper method is to wear it until the flies no longer want to land anywhere near it and take off as soon as they smell your Thinsulate, then wash it once with any dish detergent (I use Palmolive) and place it in Ebay as "Almost new, washed only once according to Ebay Rules." and then buy a new one.
Word of advice: don't ever buy used Thinsulate, its only half as thick as new Thinsulate.

Michael
Who no longer uses anything made with Thinsulate but loves his Weezle Extreme +

Properly handled Thinsulate will last 1 to 1 1/2 seasons before it needs to be replaced with new.
The proper method is to wear it until the flies no longer want to land anywhere near it and take off as soon as they smell your Thinsulate, then wash it once with any dish detergent (I use Palmolive) and place it in Ebay as "Almost new, washed only once according to Ebay Rules." and then buy a new one.
Word of advice: don't ever buy used Thinsulate, its only half as thick as new Thinsulate.

Michael
Who no longer uses anything made with Thinsulate but loves his Weezle Extreme +

What he said. And my Weezle seems to keep going, and going, and...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom