Dry Suit Time?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mickey13

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello,

I mainly dive in colder water, and my 7 mill with core warmer does work. But I get cold between dives, and was wondering if I need to switch to a dry suit. Before the investment, I wanted to get opinions on if the expense is worth it, or if I purchase an artic wetsuit will that solve my problem. If anyone can give me advice, please help.
some dry suits are very expensive, and some are rather cheap...why the difference in cost?

Help!

M-13

All wet suits become great big evaporative coolers when out of the water as the water evaporating off them draws heat from the suit and in turn from you. If you get cold between dives, either take the suit off between dives and wear something warm, or put something on over the suti that will slow or stop the evaporation. A non breathable rain sut or a nylon ut will stop evaporation and reduce wind chill. And it will keep any insulating garments put on over that from getting damp.

Dry suits are expensive. Some of the cost is due to better quality, better features, etc, but some of what is charged is for name brand labels. DUI is a well respected name, but you can get the same quality for a lot less money and right now about the only gee whiz feature they offer that no one else does are zip seals - And personally, I think if you use reasonable care, changing seals is something that is an issue maybe once every 3-5 years, so I am not real big on paying the extra money for a DUI and then pay more extra money for zip seals.

I have a trilam that I use in warmer water dry suit situations but for really cold water an uncompressed neoprene drysuit is very hard to beat. It is very warm with lighter undergarments than are required with a trilam and it is stretchy giving you a snugger fit that swims like a wet suit with more comnfort and less drag than a trilam.

And if it leaks the leaks tend to be small through the largely self sealing neoprene and even if it fully floods, you still have a 7mm or 5/7mm semi-dry wetsuit. In contrast, if you poke a hole in a trilam you get real wet and real cold.

A neoprene suit costs about 1/3 the cost of a trilam and will last about half as long so you are still money ahead. They do not work so hot in warmer water as you cannot wear them in water warmer than you'd wear a 7mm wet suit. They are a bit harder to patch as a smallleak can be hard to find and it has to dry before you can fix it.

In the past uncompressed neoprene suits had a reputation for being cold at depth due to cmpression (which I have not found to be the case at 150' in 35 degree water) they had a reputation for needing more weight. That is also not the case as I dive the same weight in trilam and neoprene suit when dressed for similar water temps. They are however also slow to dry and harder to fix. Theyu used to cost more than a trilam but are not often considered a lower end shell suit option.

Compressed neoprene suits are a good compromise as they offer some insulation and some flexibilty and can be cut to fit slightly snugger without reduicing flexility.

Vulcanized rubber suits are extremely tough and are the preferred choice for contaminated water as they are easy to rinse and dry quickly. They are also very easy to repair and the leaks are easy to find and can be fixed in 5 minutes with a tire patch. The down side is that they are heavy, a bit less flexible and usually quite expensive.

Trilam suits are the most comon, they rinse failry easily, and are fairly easy to patch. They are however not flexible and must be cut larger to maintain flexibility so they tend to be baggier and draggier. They also have zero insulation other than the undergarments so you need thicker undergarments that can further reduce flexibility.

Bilam suits are similar but instead of a bonded nylon/rubber/nylon fabric they use a nylon fabric coated with a polyeurethane. It works ok but does not to last long in use. They cost half as much a s a trilam but last mayve 1/4 as long.

White's Fusion is a new concept that uses a very baggy bladder covered by a separate stretchy skin that offers flexibility and neoprene like fit in a stock suit size. Whether they hold up to hard use remains to be seen and they are a bit of a PITA to put on. the off the shelf price is attractive but by the time you add pockets and the tech skin, it is up there with comparable compressed neoprene suits that have a known service history so unless by some miracle they send me one to demo/test for awhile, I am going to wait and see before I invest in one.

If you are mostly diving cold water, dry suit is the way to go. although not a cheap investment i think money well spent when your budget can afford it. the big difference for me is no more getting chilled after your fist dive,and entering the water shivering on the second dive which really sucks and best of all after your dive(s)
you are dry :D unless you got flooded(when water enteres through wrist,neck or zipper) even so minor flooding is no big deal.

Also with a dry suit also comes undergarments which you can at the begining just put on some long johns and thick fleece or other sweaters and when you can afford it go for a good undergarment

The surface intervals are the best reason to switch to a drysuit. There's nothing quite so nice as stepping out of your suit and being dry, it makes it SO much easier to stay warm. Personally I prefer a suit with an attached latex hood because I can keep my hair dry as well which lets me stay warmer longer. I get cold easily so having that dry hood and dry gloves (also well worth the investment) allows me to keep up with the people who don't get cold so easily.
Ber :lilbunny:

All of my friends (and now I) agree: if you love diving and do so more than once a month in cold water, a drysuit is the best $1000+ in equipment you'll ever spend.

Most of the suits from major manufacturers (DUI, Bare, USIA, Pinnacle, Diving Concepts, Pinnacle, Whites and many others) are just fine. You'll want to focus on accessibility (does your LDS stock suits you can try on for fit, are they good for repairs for certain brands) and fit, since sizing charts per manufacturer are all over the map.

You generally pay more for features. Back-zip will typically save you several hundred dollars, but you'll need your buddy to help with the zipper when you don and doff. Trilams and compressed neoprenes cost more than neoprene suits, and you might have to pay more to add pockets, suspenders, different types of seals and valves, etc. Also, if you get a made-to-your-measurements drysuit, you'll typically end up paying a bit more for that as well.

There's a lot to think about, but if you're getting pretty cold during SI's and find that you have to force yourself to go on that second dive of the day, IMO a drysuit is well worth it.

If you're going to enjoy a lot of cold water and/or dive in the cooler months then a drysuit is a no brainer now that you are hooked on the sport.

Correctly outfitted the drysuit will keep you warmer during your dive. Pre dive and especially between dives the benefit is huge. At the end of the outing it is decadent to step out of your suit all dry while wetsuited buddies a shivvering as they towel down.

A drysuit, especially with wrist seals opens the door to dry gloves to help your hands which is often the breaking point in the cold.

You can expect to wear a little more weight depending on your current suit and where you go with the new one. Being more complex and less forgiving there will be higher maintenance costs.

I prefer the simplicity of my wetsuit when the conditions are right but when the temps are down the drysuit is a gateway to an extended season.

Pete

last year i got a drysuit and i LOVE IT

i went from someone that wouldnt dive in our winter to planning cold water dive trips

if you are diving less or not enjoying your diving becuase of the cold - a drysuit is def the way to go

goodluck

The surface intervals are the best reason to switch to a drysuit.
Ber :lilbunny:

If you amend that to read:

The surface intervals in cold weather are the best reason to switch . . . .

I will agree 100%.

personally, I don't mind diving cold water, but when I can't stay warm between dives, I'm limited to 1 dive due to surface interval conditions.

Ken

My wife an I have been diving Dry from the start. After we did our OW in KeyLargo we came back home and dove wet once. Then bought our dry suits.

Diving cold water in cold weather is great in a dry suit. I did not need to change or get out of my suit at all while ice diving last weekend. Its a little harder when the water is cold and its really hot out. You need to get into the water quickly to not over heat.

Once you go to the dark dry side you will never go back.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom