Dry suit undergarments

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mike D

Instructor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I was looking for suggestions for good dry suit undergarments. I dive primarily in the northeast, and I am using a Bare Trilam HD Tech dry suit.
Thanks for the input.

For water temps above 40 degrees, I use layers of Polartec over a base layer of polypropylene long underwear.

Below 40 degrees, I use Weezle Extreme Plus over that same base layer.

I'm only doing open water dives. The dives are usually of fairly long duration, but no deco obligation.

What are you using now?

Dave C

I just got this suit off a friend...so I don't have any undergarment right now.
Thanks for your suggestion.

For water temps above 40 degrees, I use layers of Polartec over a base layer of polypropylene long underwear.

Below 40 degrees, I use Weezle Extreme Plus over that same base layer.

I'm only doing open water dives. The dives are usually of fairly long duration, but no deco obligation.

What are you using now?

Dave C

How do all of those layers affect your weighting??

How do all of those layers affect your weighting??

Sure does increase it! A definite drawback! :)

But lots of trapped warm air means lots of weight.

It also means I'm comfortably warm up to about two hours in the low 40's. Below 40, about 90 minutes of great comfort is typical, even down to the low 30's.

That's for someone with a tendency to get cold quicker than most people, I think.

Especially on my typical low-activity photo dives.

If you're interested in how much more weight, here are my typical set-ups.

My set-up for 45-60 degree water is:
  • 100 gm polypropylene long underwear
  • 300 gm Polartec
  • a four-layer fleece chest pad about a half-inch thick by 12x18"
  • one or two layers of socks
  • neoprene 3mm ice cap underhood and 7mm overhood
  • drygloves with one or two liners
My minimum weight required for saltwater using HP steel 120 and al30 pony and this thermal protection: 37lbs.

I use about 4 extra lbs above that minimum because I like the increased warmth.

My set-up for 30-40 degree water is:
  • 100 gm polypropylene long underwear
  • Weezle Extreme Plus
  • the thick fleece chest pad as above
  • two layers of socks (one being Weezle)
  • same hoods
  • two dryglove liners
  • two 3mm neoprene neck bands
My minimum weight required for saltwater using same tanks above and this thermal protection: about 46 lbs.

Again, I'll wear an extra 6 to 8 lbs above that minimum because I've found the extra air is warmer.

And, to add more fuel to the expected controversy, I use only the drysuit for buoyancy control. :D

For the 40 to 45-degree water, I might add a third layer of fleece or wear the Weezle Extreme Plus.

If I'm doing active dives, like scalloping for instance, I might reduce my undergarments by a third or more. Also, I could get by with less insulation for planned shorter dives.

Generally, I'm just finning very slowly, stopping often, poking around and snapping a few pics and staying in the water a long time.

Nice and toasty, I might add! :D

Dave C

I like to wear a Viking underwear jump suit over thin polypropolene ski underwear to help deal with sweat or moisture. Viking is cheaper than a Weezle. Just stay away from cottton because it soaks up moisture.

Oh, and wool socks are nice too.

I bought a Fleece Undergarment from Rondel on Ebay...Very good quality and plenty warm even at 40 degrees. You can buy all 3 of his fleece (for varying temps) and still pay less than 1 brand name undergarment. If you need a link let me know i'll find mine. I own/use his antarctic and his quilted. I would feel comfortable taking the antarcitc fleece while doing an ice dive with no worries of being cold.

My minimum weight required for saltwater using HP steel 120 and al30 pony and this thermal protection: 37lbs.

My minimum weight required for saltwater using same tanks above and this thermal protection: about 46 lbs.

Again, I'll wear an extra 6 to 8 lbs above that minimum because I've found the extra air is warmer.

!

How do you cope with all that weight?

I need 8kg of lead currently (trilam + undergarment) and it drives me nuts, hoping to get by with 7 or 6 in the more optimistic future...

I found a used DUI 200gram polar tek on e-bay, this serves me fine 45 degrees and warmer.
I just recently purchased 4th Element Arctic Wear, this has had me sweating in my tri-lam at 45-50 degree water. Under both of these configurations I wear under armour and hot chilis, the thin ones. Wool socks and either fleece or 4th Element booties. Warm is good!!!!

Back
Top Bottom