Dry Throat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ok, now you have me intrigued. Don't you have salt water in the straw initially when using CapriSun or any other of those juice drinks?
As far as Jolly Ranchers, don't they get soggy?
I have read numerous posts here about eating food at depth, but never have done it, so I am quite curious as to the implications, especially in salt water!

Opps, Jolly rancher before you go diving. Gives a coating on the throat for me. They dont get soggy if you use the hard candies. But I dont use them at depth.

Awwhh...that makes sense, I was wondering if you put them in little baggies or something...the fumbling with the wrappers and all at depth with gloved hands sounded awkward...

This is not endorsed by the UWFDA, but I often dive with a jawbreaker, lemon drop, or jolly rancher in between my cheek and gums. Completely solves the dry throat issue.

The salt water rinse is good temporarily, but I've found it actually seems to dry your throat out worse after a few minutes.

bottled water for some people like myself is hard to retain, you can drink a lot of it and not hyrdrate from it, nothing in the water to "hold" it in your body.

Drinks like Cytomax and Gatorade have electrolites (spell) and other things mixed in that help your body hold the water in.

You can drink a lot, and pee a lot, but that doesn't mean your not fully hydrated.

I find that if I start a dive fully hydrated I can go quite a long time and not get dry mouth. When I know I am diving that day very very first thing when I wake up, start drinking, a lot, force down at least 2 literes by lunch, more if I'm in the sun or active that morning.

When you first wake up in the morning drink a lot, and look for signs of dehydration, most if not all of us start the day somewhat dehydrated, espeicailly if you had a drink or two the night before.

Headaches, dark under the eyes, dark urine, fatigue, dry lips, all signs of dehydration.

Scuba_Jenny:
Ok, now you have me intrigued. Don't you have salt water in the straw initially when using CapriSun or any other of those juice drinks?
If you can puncture the foil pack and not squirt some juice out, then you are much more coordinated than I am. That clears out any saltwater. The foil pack automatically collapses as you sip the juice --- drinking it is as easy as on dry land.

OTOH, it's difficult to drink more than a small fraction of a standard plastic 1/2 liter water bottle before the bottle re-expands and sucks in saltwater.

The small rectangular juice boxes (the ones common in kid's lunches) are OK, but not as good as the CapriSun foil packs. You have to work at it a bit, and purposefully crush the box as you sip in order to get most of the juice without saltwater.

Back
Top Bottom