dry vs. semi-dry snorkels

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

d33ps1x:
Oh yes. First he scraped the fish out with his snorkle and then pinned it for photogs.

Nice shot Deluca2799

BTW No coral was damaged taking this shot but I can't speak for the fish.

I had to take this shot so that the guy would let go of the fish!

What is so bad about a snorkel? I'm new to the game (just completed my 2nd OW dive this weekend) and would have been pretty put-out w/o my snorkel Sunday up at Edmond UWP- there is a long surface swim out to the area of interest. Using the snorkel, I was able to observe the bottom all the way out, keep an eye on where I was going, and conserve tank air.

I guess we could have made the swim out on our backs, but then you gotta deal with dragging the tank/BC + yourself through the water, rather than having the BC inflated and swimming face-down, thereby keeping at least some of the gear out of the water, and you don't get to observe the neat stuff on the bottom. Plus, when swimming backward we had to fairly regularly turn over to keep an eye on the destination, rather than just popping up for a look. The swim is long enough, plus being a newbie I suck air like a jet intake, so going on reg would have run me out of air by the time we got out to the neat stuff.

So for the non-snorkelers, how would you do this dive? Skip seeing all the neat stuff on the bottom?

Thanks for your input, just learning....

Actually, swimming on your back is a much better and safer option... you keep yourself oriented to the shore line during the swim out... instead of getting lost in the scenery. As nice as it might be, a long swim out can get you lost if you don't know where you're going... and if your following a compass out anyway, why bother snorkeling? You'll just be staring at your wrist the whole time.

Swimming on your back is also less tiring since you're breathing through your nose and there's less pressure on your chest area... your tank will also serve as a bumper (not that you should use it as one, but it can stand a bump better than you can)

The story of the diver in the ice was funny! Considering that a snorkel only sticks out the back of your head a few inches..that must be thin ice... another thing, if it was that thin... why didn't he just cut his way out? Unless it was a 3 foot snorkel... and a 3 foot knife! :lol: If your knife can stick out of the other end, surely you can just crack a section big enough to stick your head through.

d33ps1x:
This turtle bolted for the surface after this divemaster finally let it go.

and you gotta love that dangling octopus...

sigh

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom