Drysuit 101

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GlennL

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have this compelling urge to go get a drysuit as fall/winter is nearing. I have never dove a drysuit and my knowledge is fairly limited to online research at this point. Sure I can go to the store and talk to the peeps. But I don't want to find myself talking to a used car salesman if that makes any sense. I'm not exactly gullible, but when you don't know a lot about a topic, some fast talking people can sure sound convincing. Yes I plan on taking the drysuit course. Again, they have their brands and opinions and will likely try to sway me into buying what they sell. So I would like to know what I should look for in a quality suit and what not to look for. What is the difference between a $1500 suit and a $3000 suit? What material has the best longevity if properly cared for? What boot option has the best longevity? I will say that with my limited google knowledge I have come to lean towards the Bare trilam tech dry. Also, I want a front zip. I don't want to have to have someone else help me put my gear on.

honestly, best thing you can do is call Mike at Dive Right in Scuba and talk with him. If you buy the right $1500 suit, there is nothing betting about a $3k suit.
I have a Rofos from him that I absolutely love. I have also had USIA suits that are incredible as well and both are very reasonably priced.

Yes, call Mike at DRIS. I have a USIA drysuit I love. They also have a large section of their business selling to the US military, if that makes a difference to you. Mike will help you figure out what suit would be best for you. DRIS has a big sale going on right now through the end of the month. Check out their website.

Yes, call Mike at DRIS. I have a USIA drysuit I love. They also have a large section of their business selling to the US military, if that makes a difference to you. Mike will help you figure out what suit would be best for you. DRIS has a big sale going on right now through the end of the month. Check out their website.

I have tried to access their website for over a week and always get a timeout error.

Give Mike a call in the morning. They open at 11 central time.

Yes I plan on taking the drysuit course. Again, they have their brands and opinions and will likely try to sway me into buying what they sell.

There isn't that much to learn, talk to some buddies who dive dry and do some dives with them. Let your feet get up so you know how to get back to a normal position and practise to disconnect the Inflator hose.

Apart from that you just need dives to get used to control the 2 air bags.

The critical difference is between a properly sized dry suit and one that doesn't fit you with all the thermal layers etc. Though it is good if it doesn't leak, as I know multiple people whose custom moderately priced dry suits leaked on the first dive and needed to go back the the factory. One at least went back more than once before he stopped coming out soaked.

But seriously, a $2000 dry suit that looks cool but you can't reach your valves wearing enough thermal protection that you are not freezing your ass off is not a better value than $3000 one that allows you to reach your valves or a $1000 stretchable one that also allows you to do it. The guy who measures you and ensures the suit fits when it comes in is critical and you should be willing to pay more for that.

If you can rent and do a pool dive in the suit size they say you should have (roasting in the thermal layers you need for cold water) and ensure it fits that is really a big value.

any recommendations for undergarments..... on the cheap. Ive seen a lot of flip flop about certain fabrics and the what if they get wet comments

Taaaadaaa.....lol ok so oversight #1. I need fins with a bigger foot pocket.
Walked into my pool and floated around like the Michelin man. Tomorrow I will drag my gear out and actually descend in my pool (a whopping 8ft lol).
Suit fits good, but my thunder thighs definitely fill out the legs.

IMG_2298.JPG

Back
Top Bottom