Drysuit air bubble management help please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Doc Harry

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Greetings,

I am playing with my first dry suit and having a heck of a time managing the air bubble in the suit. I already took a dry suit course. Can you offer some advice please?

I have a DUI TLS350 with turbo soles. I dive primarily in cool fresh water lakes with a double AL80s or double steel 130s. I use an aluminum backplate for trim purposes, steel puts me too head down. Jet fins. My trim is usually horizontal.

In one lake (50-55 degrees F) I wear my 400gm Thinsulate and require about 25 pounds of lead (with AL80s). In another lake (60-65 degrees F) I just wear thick long johns and about 6 pounds of lead (with AL80s). I use gaiters

I have been playing in the 15-25 feet range because I know buoyancy is most difficult in that transition zone. I use my wing for buoyancy, not the dry suit. I put just enough air in the dry suit to reduce squeeze.

The problem that I am experiencing has to do with the amount of air in the dry suit. When I am practicing kicks, etc., invariably the air ends up in my feet and my trim is badly thrown off. I can use even less air in the dry suit to avoid this -- I have heard the advice of the "20-foot squeeze." But that amount of squeeze is pretty intense, pretty painful, and it makes it very difficult to reach my valves, even if I stretch out before the squeeze gets bad. I also get cold with that much squeeze.

I seem stuck -- very little air in the suit = too much pain , can't reach my valves but no air in my feet. More air in the dry suit = less discomfort, can reach my valves but too much air in my feet. What to do?

The other problem arises on ascent. If I am coming up from depth (60 to 80 feet), I have a lot of air in the suit that needs to be vented. But I just can't get the air out of my dry suit quick enough. At about 10-15 feet I get an out-of-control buoyant ascent.

To avoid this I have to ascend very slowly (10 feet per minute), carefully venting both my wing and dry suit all the way up. At times my sleeve is full of air but the exhaust valve just doesn't vent (I dive with the valve all the way open all of the time). That causes me to start a buoyant ascent so I have to manually depress the valve to dump to regain control. I usually completely dump my wing on ascent because the dry suit buoyancy becomes so dominant on even a very slow ascent.

But when I get to 10-15 feet, there is still a lot of air in my sleeve that won't vent (automatically or manually) and I get a runaway ascent to the surface. I pop to the surface exhaling hard with my arm out like "chicken wing" holding down the exhaust valve, all in vain.

I have checked that my weighting is correct. I can just barely maintain position at 10 feet with 300 PSI, an empty wing and a full-on dry suit squeeze. So I don't think that I am under-weighted.

There isn't anyone in my area who has a lot of dry suit experience that I can turn to for advice. Obviously what I have been trying hasn't been working.

Insanity = Trying the same thing over and over, expecting a different result every time.

First, a couple of questions. Are you using the wing and the drysuit for buoyancy, or mainly the drysuit?

Is it possible that the undergarment is bunching up under the exhaust valve?

Try using the wing mainly for buoyancy and add just enough air to get rid of the squeeze. See if that helps.

Put a piece of duct tape on your drysuit underwear just underneath the valve. This should add enough rigidity to the outer layer to let the air escape. If it helps, add a few hollow rivets from an sewing/craft shop to the underwear just under the valve to help the air escape.

Put a piece of duct tape on your drysuit underwear just underneath the valve. This should add enough rigidity to the outer layer to let the air escape. If it helps, add a few hollow rivets from an sewing/craft shop to the underwear just under the valve to help the air escape.

I like that idea, will give it a try.

Hi Doc,

A recent thread in this subforum ("Drysuit trouble..") pulled in a tremendous variety of experienced dry suit divers. Several offered great lists of suggestions, resources and advice.

Perhaps something there will ring some bells with your experiences.

Good luck with this part of the learning curve.
It will get better as you master the details.

~~~~
Claudette

Thanks Claudette,

I did see that thread. There was very little in that thread that was of use to me. I was already aware of nearly all of the advice and was already putting most of the advice into practice.

But none of it was helping.

I realize that many of my problems will disappear with more practice, but in the interim I am getting extremely frustrated with practicing. When I moved to doubles I had terrible problems with trim, but one day the problems disappeared without changing a thing. Practice was the solution, not a configuration change. I am sure the same applies to my dry suit problem. But I am getting really irritated and it is making diving unpleasant right now.

The one thing that I have not yet put into practice is putting duct tape on my undergarment under the exhaust valve to see if that helps with air dumping.

I am also changing the location of my dump valve. When I am horizontal and lift my shoulder to vent, the valve actually faces forward not up. Apparently the valve is at the "standard" DUI location. If I rotate my arm to move the valve to the highest point, my wrist actually becomes the highest point and air goes up my sleeve, not out of the dump valve. Rolling slightly right does not move the valve to the highest point, either. So I am moving the valve a couple of inches.

Greetings,

I am playing with my first dry suit and having a heck of a time managing the air bubble in the suit. I already took a dry suit course. Can you offer some advice please?

I have a DUI TLS350 with turbo soles. I dive primarily in cool fresh water lakes with a double AL80s or double steel 130s. I use an aluminum backplate for trim purposes, steel puts me too head down. Jet fins. My trim is usually horizontal.

In one lake (50-55 degrees F) I wear my 400gm Thinsulate and require about 25 pounds of lead (with AL80s). In another lake (60-65 degrees F) I just wear thick long johns and about 6 pounds of lead (with AL80s). I use gaiters

I have been playing in the 15-25 feet range because I know buoyancy is most difficult in that transition zone. I use my wing for buoyancy, not the dry suit. I put just enough air in the dry suit to reduce squeeze.

The problem that I am experiencing has to do with the amount of air in the dry suit. When I am practicing kicks, etc., invariably the air ends up in my feet and my trim is badly thrown off. I can use even less air in the dry suit to avoid this -- I have heard the advice of the "20-foot squeeze." But that amount of squeeze is pretty intense, pretty painful, and it makes it very difficult to reach my valves, even if I stretch out before the squeeze gets bad. I also get cold with that much squeeze.

I seem stuck -- very little air in the suit = too much pain , can't reach my valves but no air in my feet. More air in the dry suit = less discomfort, can reach my valves but too much air in my feet. What to do?

The other problem arises on ascent. If I am coming up from depth (60 to 80 feet), I have a lot of air in the suit that needs to be vented. But I just can't get the air out of my dry suit quick enough. At about 10-15 feet I get an out-of-control buoyant ascent.

To avoid this I have to ascend very slowly (10 feet per minute), carefully venting both my wing and dry suit all the way up. At times my sleeve is full of air but the exhaust valve just doesn't vent (I dive with the valve all the way open all of the time). That causes me to start a buoyant ascent so I have to manually depress the valve to dump to regain control. I usually completely dump my wing on ascent because the dry suit buoyancy becomes so dominant on even a very slow ascent.

But when I get to 10-15 feet, there is still a lot of air in my sleeve that won't vent (automatically or manually) and I get a runaway ascent to the surface. I pop to the surface exhaling hard with my arm out like "chicken wing" holding down the exhaust valve, all in vain.

I have checked that my weighting is correct. I can just barely maintain position at 10 feet with 300 PSI, an empty wing and a full-on dry suit squeeze. So I don't think that I am under-weighted.

There isn't anyone in my area who has a lot of dry suit experience that I can turn to for advice. Obviously what I have been trying hasn't been working.

Insanity = Trying the same thing over and over, expecting a different result every time.
You need to be "shrink wrapped," but not in pain. A little bit of air will move about (slosh) in your suit, not a great deal ... a little bit.

I don't find that uncontrolled "sloshing" air in my suit is much of a problem; in fact I use it as a tool. Since I stay horizontal with my knees slightly bent and my fins high I have a small bubble across my shoulders and one at each calf. By shifting position I can move air from one location to another and use this "tripod" to maintain virtually any attitude in the water (be careful of feet or head straight up).

Remember is that a dry suit is not a BCD. It does not vent quickly like a BCD does and the air trapped in it may require you to 'move' it to a location where it can vent.

The advice to keep minimal air to prevent squeeze, use the BCD for buoyancy control and to ascend slowly to allow the suit to vent are all great tips.

The other thing to watch for is that the suit 'auto dumps' (again unlike a BCD) so you need to be aware of how loose or tight your suit dump valve is relative to depth, air in the suit and your body posture. Thats one place were practice comes in.

Keep at it. Stay aware and it will get easier to control.

Since you are already looking at moving your dump valve have you thought about converting to a cuff dump?

I have about 20 dives on my dry suit and was frustrated in the beginning trying to get used to managing the air in the suit. From my limited experience, here are a few tips that I have found helpful:

- In my drysuit class they taught us to use the drysuit only for buoyancy and the BC only on the surface. After my first dive and a blown safety stop I quickly realized that this wouldn't work for me. I now put just enough air in the drysuit to take the squeeze off.

- I always dump all of the air out of my wing within the first 10 ft of my ascent and focus on dumping the air out of the drysuit as I slowly ascend.

- I never do the "muscle man" pose when dumping air from the drysuit. Instead I focus on keeping my forearm lower than the dump valve. When venting, the dump always needs to be the highest point on your body.

- Being a bit overweighed when you first start out is not necessarily a bad thing. As you get more comfortable in the suit you can start removing weight until you find the correct balance that works for you.

Hope this helps...

Bill

Learn to use the suit you have. Shoulder dumps work, arm dumps work, cuff dump work, but none are a solution to the problem, just a little easier or more difficult for some people. Thinking that equipment changes will solve the issue is wrongheaded, a new valve is no substitute for carefully learning to dive your suit.

Have you tries ankle weights? They won't stop the air from going to your feet, but it will help you maintain your trim when it does.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom