Drysuit Boots?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

After several dives on my Decathlon Quechua boots I did some modification which made them easier to dry, don, doff and more comfortable.

PXL_20230201_132013541.jpg

List of modifications:
1. removed the eva insole, and added a thinner insole from old pair of Teva MTB shoes, which dries super fast, and is covered in felt like material, so the trilam socks slide better over it, with less bunching up.
2. swapped laces for thicker rounded ones
3. cut out the tongue, since it would shift and bother, so like this it dries faster and is lower profile so it fits in the fins much better.
4. added a plastic stopper so I can tighten it easier and not having to deal with the laces coming undone.

Love these boots, they are proving to be super durable and great. The presence of a proper sole means warmth on cold concrete and on cold dives. Since trilam has no insulation properties I use a pair of merino wool or any hiking socks under a pair of SealSkins extreme cold socks. Works like a charm.

Some ideas I'll follow with my own boots. Where did you get that stopper from ?

Some ideas I'll follow with my own boots. Where did you get that stopper from ?
Local thread shop. it was a whopping 10c. :D

You can get 160 of them for 12eur hahahaha

I'll third the Altama boots. After using EVO3 and 4s for some time, the Altama boot are so much easier to get into with the Santi socks. I also use the Deep6 Eddy fins with the larger foot pockets. Just beware, I had to order 3 sizes larger with the Santi socks (11 to 14).

I'm getting ready to go down this rabbit hole. I'm not looking for rock boots. Probably just 7mm neo boots with a decent sole. I'm a size 11W shoe. I was thinking a 13 would do it considering the attached neo socks + wool socks inside. But I might not need heavy wool socks inside with 7mm boots. Never dove a suit with attached socks, only attached boots and I always just wore heavy socks under the suit.

I'm getting ready to go down this rabbit hole. I'm not looking for rock boots. Probably just 7mm neo boots with a decent sole. I'm a size 11W shoe. I was thinking a 13 would do it considering the attached neo socks + wool socks inside. But I might not need heavy wool socks inside with 7mm boots. Never dove a suit with attached socks, only attached boots and I always just wore heavy socks under the suit.
I tried 5mm booties, and imInwas cold to be honest.

I'm much warmer in mu hiking boots and two pairs od socks.

Take note thau I use trilam socks instead of more common neoprene socks which are warmer.

Just to follow up with this.

Buddy let me buy a set of Altama Maritime Assaults off of him. So far I like them. Swapped the regular laces for bungee kit off Amazon (that was $7). We'll see how it holds up. It says heavy duty SS spring, so well see. Pretty easy to slip on and comfortable., but I only have 1 dive with them so far.

Attached a pic of the kit.

Attachments

• 20230407_171602.jpg
    20230407_171602.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 70
  • Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    301.1 KB · Views: 69
Hello,
I prefer a neoprene hard sole boot myself. However, a couple of my recent cave students use Converse High Tops. Cheaper and they can get the color of their choice.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom