Drysuit choices

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Okiecaver

Contributor
Reaction score
Okey dokey folks, here is my question

I’ve some wreck diving trips planned for the NE, the Great Lakes and eventually the UK. My Viking Xtreme is great for Caves and Quarry diving, but I’ll need something way more rugged for wrecking.

I’ve narrowed it down to these candidates in these 2 categories

Shell:
Viking Pro 1000 with Magnum hood, Dry Glove w/rings, and cargo pockets.
OS Systems Commercial with Attached hood, cargo pockets, dry glove system

Compressed/Crushed Neo:
Northern Diver CNX with tech option package (dry gloves and rings, Kevlar knee pads, cargo pockets, HD shoulder zip, attached hood)

DUI CF200se (shoulder zip, cargo pockets, Kevlar knee pads, standard boots, warm neck collar and hood option, dry glove system)

As you can see there is a common thread here. I prefer attached hoods and dry gloves, and like pockets to keep the danglies down. I’ve had one suit with a diagonal zip and found it to be more trouble than it’s worth for me. I always dive with buddies so zipping up is not an issue.

The first 3 I can have for under 2000 including underwear. The last is the wild card, as we’re looking at close to 3 grand without undies.

Kudo’s, testimonials, brickbats?

Dive safe
Brock

with tongue planted FIRMLY in cheek as I tease my friend:

Brock,

Avoid snuggling up to the zebra mussels, barnacles,
and jagged edges of metal and your VE will be fine for
wrecking.

The "problem" with you cavers is that you are accustomed
to rock and mud, which tends to be not very sharp.

G_M

ps. If "NE" includes the NH, Maine (or Cape Ann, Mass area)
give me a shout. We'll crash into some wrecks together.

Look's like there will be a competiton going on. So far you, DanS, and Patmandu all want me to dive with them. We may just make it a group effort and get the rest of the gang in on it too.

so what's up wit yooze?

Brock

I spent most of my summer diving with my wife in shallow
water from beaches. Not complaining though, it keeps her
happy and when the weather cools I'll be back on the boats
a couple of times a month.

I know Patmandu and suspect that he would not mind several
of us setting something up. We've been talking about doing that but so far nothing. Hopefully next month we'll get together out at Boone Island Ledge.

Just so you know though, a 10 foot Mako was recently caught off the coast of NH; bring a big knife so you'll be safe ;-)

I like my Abyss Pro Kevlar suit. It's crushed neoprene shell suit with a kevlar shell. I've had it for three years diving in zebra mussel covered wrecks, and they haven't even phased it. You used to be able to get them for $1500US for a custom suit from some Canadian dive shops. Unfortunately the price has jumped up to around $1800 or so for a custom suit, one pocket, HD zipper, and kevlar knee pads. My buddy did, however, buy one from Diver Down in London for about $1600, but it was a special deal.
I like the Viking Pro's as well, but they don't hold up as well as the Abyss suit -- but are easy to repair on site. However, I know there are a few places you can get a Pro 1000 for about $1000, so the price difference may make it worth it. Personally, I'd buy another Abyss. Check out their web site at http://www.abyssdivingsuits.com. Try to call Diver Down.

Good luck.

Mike

Sorry we missed each other at Da UP.

I like the Tech/Atlantis model. I'm going to email them tonight with my specs and get a quote. I'll also do a search on google for dealers.

I've read your posts on the GUE list- have you joined the DIS-UK group on Yahoo yet?

Dive safe and thanks again
Brock

No I haven't. Are there any big names participating on it? I should look into it. You'll have to let me know if you come up next year -- I'm working on some "lesser known" wrecks.

Thanks.

Mike

Regulars include Tod Guenther, the Grogans(Wendell and John), Stuart Morrison, Mark Nimmin.

Okiecaver gives it 3 bats up

Dive safe
Brock

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom