Drysuit Class Yes Or No?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Life-Is-Good-Diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Just bought a Henderson Artic 2 Drysuit, and was wondering if anyone who dives a dry suit thinks its really nessary to take a dry suit class. My LDS where i bought it sais just dive shallow and dive it, and i will get used to it. Ive been diving a few years, and dove in all enviroments. For some reason i don't see a major deal with diving dry. Am i missing somthing?

It's different for sure. Go with an experienced drysuit diver and find something to hold onto so you can try the somersault and you should figure it out.

My LDS gave me the orientation with the suit, it was nice to try it out in a pool to get an understanding of the concept. You won't have your buoyancy back for 10-12 dives probably, it's like that Eureka! experience 10-12 dives after OW class when you figured out buoyancy all over again.

Chris

FLTEKDIVER,
FWIW, the LDS should have comped you a class as part of the purchase of your drysuit. Sure its easy and you will figure it out eventually. There are some rudmentary skills involved, some drysuit maintaince, and sizing , such as your neck seal, that is important. It would suffice if they had offered to do a check dive with you.
You were treated pretty shabby.
Dive Safe,
Larry

daylight once bubbled...
some drysuit maintaince, and sizing , such as your neck seal, that is important.

That's what I overlooked, seal and zipper maintenance,

You were treated pretty shabby.

I didn't want to be that blunt, but yes the orientation should have been included.

I just called them and they said they would offer a pool sesion in fresh water for $50 ,,,, i live in FL, and have natural springs all withen an hour to two away. Im think of going this weekend, and just getting in and diving to about 15' and swim all day. My only fear factor is that i heard you can end up upside down, hanging from the surface by your feet, if so, you have to roll outta it. I don't want to end up in a situation where i can't get out of, but then again, rather have it happen in 15' of water then 150' and have an uncontrolled accent. Im think of diving dry in the springs in FL for the next 2 months, getting in about 20-30 shallow dives, then going to the ocean.
Do you guy's ever have uncontrolled accent's? Or should i say are all over the place?Or is it really not that hard, its like your BC, once your trim at that depth, you just swim around and enjoy it?

Your LDS is really big hearted to offer to do a class for $50 that should have been included in the price of the suit.
Anyway, Yes it will facilitate your learning curve to lbe taught attitude control, squeeze characteristics, buoyancy control , and air venting. I also do most of my drysuit diving in Florida springs and really appreciate a dry suit.
Dive Safe,
Larry

PS: Yeah, I'm blunt but only where it's important.

daylight once bubbled...
Your LDS is really big hearted to offer to do a class for $50 that should have been included in the price of the suit.
Anyway, Yes it will facilitate your learning curve to lbe taught attitude control, squeeze characteristics, buoyancy control , and air venting. I also do most of my drysuit diving in Florida springs and really appreciate a dry suit.
Dive Safe,
Larry

PS: Yeah, I'm blunt but only where it's important.

Why do you say that it should have been included?

We used to include a class with a suit but at the prices we are now forced to sell suits for we don't include anything. The markup in a suit isn't enough to get me in the pool for an evening and to the lake for a day. You buy a suit you get a suit. If you want a class you have to buy a class.

Mike,
What you say is the norm. I would suggest that negotiating at least a check dive as part of the purchase price. It never hurts to ask. All they can say is the same thing you do- "No!". The shop I work with has a pool on site and we feel it provides better customer satisfaction to make the effort.
Larry

When we're taking an ow class anyway, it's a good DM bonus as there's not an instructor required to orient a drysuit user. The shop usually throws a $25 credit to the DM for spending an hour or two in the pool, and the pool time costs the same with or without the drysuit diver. Maybe drysuits are more common here, but that seemed to be the case at most of the shops.

daylight once bubbled...
Mike,
What you say is the norm. I would suggest that negotiating at least a check dive as part of the purchase price. It never hurts to ask. All they can say is the same thing you do- "No!". The shop I work with has a pool on site and we feel it provides better customer satisfaction to make the effort.
Larry

We offer it as a package but when having to compete with online pricing we no longer "include" it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom