Drysuit for Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Did you add 24k valves or cashmere undergarments? I can't imagine how you could get the price of a TLS350 up to $3200, even buying at MSRP.

Did you miss the part about him going to the DUI event? I was there in Chiefland too...

A custom cut TLS350 Signature with turbosoles is about $2800. Add an undergarment, p-valve and you've got your $3200.

For Florida, I would recommend getting a shell suit (laminated) so you can adjust the warmth by your undergarments, and has the added benefit over a neoprene suit in that it dries quicker, and packs lighter ..

I've often heard people say that laminated suits are better because you can adjust warmth better, but what I don't understand is why dive a drysuit at all if all you need is a shell suit with thin undies. Personally I'd use a 7mm wetsuit instead, unless I had a special reason like needing backup buoyancy for a tech dive.

Anyway, I have both a laminated suit and a compressed neoprene suit. I kind of like the latter better because it's stretchier and snugger (per material). Back in early September the surface water temp was about 68 deg F at Dutch Springs, and the 3mm compressed neo suit was warm, but not uncomfortably hot, when I wore it with just a thin polartec undergarment on relaxed dives. That said, shell suits certainly have their advantages - maybe I'll come around to preferring them over others one day. The new Whites Fusion suit (or something like that), which is a stretchy shell suit sounds pretty cool.

...but what I don't understand is why dive a drysuit at all if all you need is a shell suit with thin undies. Personally I'd use a 7mm wetsuit instead, unless I had a special reason like needing backup buoyancy for a tech dive.

Because Florida, unlike many places, makes it possible to get out of 72 degree water into air that is below freezing. Happened to me last year. Yesterday morning was the NACD convention. As I passed the bank on my drive down there, it said 26F. Getting out of a spring into subfreezing temps in a wetsuit, is no joke.

Because Florida, unlike many places, makes it possible to get out of 72 degree water into air that is below freezing. Happened to me last year. Yesterday morning was the NACD convention. As I passed the bank on my drive down there, it said 26F. Getting out of a spring into subfreezing temps in a wetsuit, is no joke.

Okay, that makes sense.

By the way, are shell suits warmer than neoprene suits on the surface in cold, windy conditions? For example, suppose one guy is wearing a 7mm neo drysuit with no undies and his twin brother is wearing a shell suit with enough undies so that both are equally warm at 100' underwater, then who would be warmer during the surface interval?

The shell suit diver, because the trilam serves as a wind barrier.

Thanks to all who replied, My wife reminded me of the great BC debacle. I boght a cheep jacket style BC to replace on I had for years, then bought a Sea Quest Black Diamond to replace the cheapo, then bought a transpac BP/W. I wanted the transpac all along. To save cash, she has encouraged me to go ahead and get the DUI suit and avoid getting two suits I don't like. It will arrive December 21st. Thanks again!!

Good to hear someone learned - Buy it Nice or Buy it Twice!

Lucky guy to have such a smart wife! :D

I have no doubt the TLS350 will serve you well for many years, and you'll really appreciate the flexibility of the design, material and fit, I think.

I love those aspects of the 350, but I've been using a CLx450 since it was a steal at $850 for an unused second hand suit.

The 450 is also a great fitting suit, but it's heavier and a little stiffer, so I think I'll start using my TLS350 again once I replace the worn-out Turbosoles with socks and Rockboots.

I'd recommend the socks and Rockboots because they provide better ankle support and longer wear, IMHO.

You'll also like the fact that the 350 rolls up into about half the space as the 450!

Enjoy! :)

Dave C

HEY JaxDvr,
Diverightin scuba is selling Pinnacle "Freedoms" for $658.00. I might buy one on principle alone.

Thanks to all who replied, My wife reminded me of the great BC debacle. I boght a cheep jacket style BC to replace on I had for years, then bought a Sea Quest Black Diamond to replace the cheapo, then bought a transpac BP/W. I wanted the transpac all along. To save cash, she has encouraged me to go ahead and get the DUI suit and avoid getting two suits I don't like. It will arrive December 21st. Thanks again!!

I have a DUI TLS 350 Signature series and I love it. You'll love diving in your new suit also. It was a good decision to buy new, you won't regret it. Congratulations. :palmtree: Bob

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom