Drysuit Glove Fixing at SI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rob.mwpropane

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
Not sure if this is the right section.. so please move if needed.

Yesterday I got a small cut in my showa 720's, wasn't a show stopper but I could definitely feel my thumb going numb pretty fast. I used some aquaseal at the SI to seal it (put on the inside and the outside). That helped for most of the 2nd dive, but wasn't 100% effective.

Does anyone use something better? Changing gloves was an option, but it just seemed like it was overkill for such a small hole.

I was thinking plastidip? Maybe? Superglue would go bad in my bag. Does anyone know of something that will stay good in the tube for 6 months and be ready that dries fairly quickly?

The aquaseal worked, but maybe I needed more on the outside.. idk. I only let it dry for like 15 min or so and it did help. Thumb was dry for most of the 2nd dive and then it leaked, but much slower.

What do you use?

Aquaseal, slop it on, cut some cloth to put on it while it’s wet and make sure that in soaks into the cloth (last time I did a field repair I used a towel) at the end of the SI sprinkle a little talc on it and dive.

Aquaseal, slop it on, cut some cloth to put on it while it’s wet and make sure that in soaks into the cloth (last time I did a field repair I used a towel) at the end of the SI sprinkle a little talc on it and dive.
I don't understand what the cloth does? Inside, outside, both? Talc is a good idea.
I read this wrong.. for a second I thought it was a joke. Like "Tear Aid, just stop being a pansy and dive"🤣🤣

That's pretty much what the guys on the boat who were all diving wet said!! I come up nice and warm except for my little thumb and they were all freezing, lol.. of course I made a much bigger deal about it than needed!!

The cloth (tee shirt would be a good material) it increases the surface bonding area and speeds drying and reinforces the repair. At home for a tiny hole/rip just aqua seal and time for it to cure would likely work but we are talking about some pretty cheap gloves. I like the idea of some tight pull over gloves to facilitate a temp fix on site, when it warms up I’m going to see if I have something like that in my shop.

I just use a pull on marigold. Fix or replace blue gloves at home. I’ve pulled marigolds over leaky blue gloves when too lazy to deglove or already off the boat.
I didn't see this post as I posted at the same minute.

What are marigolds? What is your go to o fix at home?

There was a guy on the boat who had dipped his fingertips in plasti-dip. He said they last forever, but can't feel a damn thing, lol.

The cloth (tee shirt would be a good material) it increases the surface bonding area and speeds drying and reinforces the repair. At home for a tiny hole/rip just aqua seal and time for it to cure would likely work but we are talking about some pretty cheap gloves. I like the idea of some tight pull over gloves to facilitate a temp fix on site, when it warms up I’m going to see if I have something like that in my shop.
Whatever I pull over would have to hold up though.

Yesterday I painted the inside with aquaseal and used a lighter to try and dry faster.. aquaseal is very flammable, but I could blow it right out. The outside I just let dry for 15 min or so.. it did work, was just curious what others do.

@rob.mwpropane These are fairly ubiquitous with divers here. I buy by bag of 10. https://www.grainger.ca/en/product/GLOVES-HVY-WT-XL-SZ-9-5/p/SMDG17K9.5

I used atlas 660, but have been buying no name blue gloves from Home Depot, walmart, any where really… for years. So i don’t aquaseal those, just replace. I do aquaseal my dui zip gloves which are blue vinyl. I use aquaseal inside and out. Buy small paint brushes from dollar store.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom