Drysuit in Red Sea in February

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Canard

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I'm planning two weeks liveaboard diving in the Red Sea in February and intend to bring a Trilam drysuit. Wondering if anyone could suggest appropriate undergarments? I own a Weasel Extreme Plus (too hot I'm sure) and a mid-weight Mares quilted garment (used with my neoprene drysuit). I'm concerned that even the mid weight garment might be too much. Expecting water temps in the mid-twenties C°.

I've also read of some restrictions on gloves, which is a bit of a concern as I don't know how water tight I'll be without the dry gloves.

From older posts I've seen lots of people will dive wet in 5mm but expressed concern about post-dive windchill. Since I own drysuits it seems the way to go.

Thanks in advance.

Drysuit with light undergarment should be fine (thinsulate etc). When we were there in April, the DMs wore 7mm suits. We used 3 mm and were a little chilled after a couple of dives. As I recal, no gloves allowed. Maybe looked for a cheap/used 5 or 7 mm suit or if you hit the lottery buy a wetsuit warmer for a 3 mm,

Drysuit with light undergarment should be fine (thinsulate etc). When we were there in April, the DMs wore 7mm suits. We used 3 mm and were a little chilled after a couple of dives. As I recal, no gloves allowed. Maybe looked for a cheap/used 5 or 7 mm suit or if you hit the lottery buy a wetsuit warmer for a 3 mm,
Thanks Jay, I think I'll stay dry. I took a 3/2mm to Philippines in February and was chilled enough to buy a hooded vest. I'm so accustomed to diving dry that I have a startle reflex when I'm in a wetsuit and the water comes in. (cold water diver syndrome). Cheers

I don't know if anybody anymore respects (or ever respected) Egypts Chamber of Diving and Watersports rules, but:

CDWS Rules on GLOVES & KNIVES

The official CDWS statement with regards to wearing gloves & carrying dive knives
- Wearing gloves as a thermal protection is not restricted, however, touching corals and marine life is strictly prohibited.
- Therefore, it is highly recommended not to wear gloves if not needed as a thermal protection

Chamber of Diving and Water sports - Red Sea - Egypt:

Last edited:
I'll be using my gloves but as thermol protection. I don't touch anything anyway, gloves or no.

I'm planning two weeks liveaboard diving in the Red Sea in February and intend to bring a Trilam drysuit. Wondering if anyone could suggest appropriate undergarments? I own a Weasel Extreme Plus (too hot I'm sure) and a mid-weight Mares quilted garment (used with my neoprene drysuit). I'm concerned that even the mid weight garment might be too much. Expecting water temps in the mid-twenties C°.

I've also read of some restrictions on gloves, which is a bit of a concern as I don't know how water tight I'll be without the dry gloves.

From older posts I've seen lots of people will dive wet in 5mm but expressed concern about post-dive windchill. Since I own drysuits it seems the way to go.

Thanks in advance.

I've used my drysuit in Egypt in the same time of the year on a couple of occasions. IIRC the water was 23-25C and I found a light undergarment (250g single layer) good. I took an extra fleece sweater with me in case I was wrong but I didn't use it. If you don't have a purpose built undergarment then just a thick(ish) training suit for general athletics will do the job. If you try using your weasel then you'll overheat in it.

Keep in mind if you're diving for a two weeks that you will NEED (repeat NEED) to wash it every couple of days or everyone on the boat will want to make you leave! :) So if you're diving 4 times a day (or more) you'll need a plan for that. During the day it will dry quickly but then you're diving and during the night it won't dry out completely if you wash it after the last dive.

R..

Many very helpful responses. From what I've gleaned here I have an appropriate undergarment along with washable base layers to keep "fresh".

The suit currently has dry gloves installed and if I don't use the gloves then I will need to take off the cuff wrings so that I can make the cuffs water tight. Since the regulations seem to allow gloves for thermal purpose is there any compelling reason not to wear the dry gloves? (I don't touch anything so no issues there)

What about a hood? My 7mm seems excessive. Other than going bare headed I also have a 1mm beanie.

Thanks!

Personally I would take the gloves off unless it's a major PITA to do so.

I took my cap and used it for the night dives. For some reason, even though the water is the same temperature in the evenings, you seem to get colder on the night dive.

R..

Well I managed a test dive today using my trilam drysuit, my superlight travel BCD, my lightest undergarment and an aluminum cylinder. The air temp was just over 30°C, which is unheard of here but mimics the Red Sea in February. I didn't fry on the surface ;-) Still even the light undergarment seems like it might be overkill as I was quite comfortable in our unseasonably warm 12°C water. I'm expecting ~22°C in the Red Sea in February and reckon I can get away with one wicking layer(that I can wash during the trip to not stink) and a super light thermal like merino wool. Looking for anyone's experience with drysuit diving in the Red Sea that could help inform my decision. My concerns about weight are driven by a 20kg baggage allowance and not wanting to require excessive weights. Thanks

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom