Drysuit In Warm Water Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rick Inman

Advisor
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Well, we're off to The Big Island, HI in a couple o' weeks. I'm renting a set of doubles (al80's) from Dive TEK and will do a bunch of shore dives and one tech charter.

I have never dived with doubles in warm water. I own a 3/2 wetsuit, but am thinking to just bring my drysuit and dive it. My reasoning is that I'm used to my drysuit, and the doubles with a 3/2 won't be balanced, and I'll be stuck with no backup inflation (except SMB's).

Thoughts?

Oh, and those who dive/have-dived dry in warm waters, what do you wear under the drysuit?

Rick:

You probably saw my FL thread - I've decided to dive wet in a 3 mm full suit and use Al 80 doubles. I got convinced (phone calls as much as ScubaBoard) that my TLS-350 would be too hot for the surface intervals and unless I was diving double 130s - overkill.

Jim

LAJim:
Rick:

You probably saw my FL thread - I've decided to dive wet in a 3 mm full suit and use Al 80 doubles. I got convinced (phone calls as much as ScubaBoard) that my TLS-350 would be too hot for the surface intervals and unless I was diving double 130s - overkill.

Jim

Good luck with the 3mm. I dove HI last year in 79F in a 3MM (admittedly it wasnt the greatest fitting 3MM) and I was cold.

I would dive at least a 5MM.

Just got back from diving 77F in Mexico and dove dry -- very very comfortable.

I hate diving wet.

I made 24 dives one week in Roatan earlier this year with a bottom temperature of 82 F on every dive. Wore a 2/1 shortie and a lycra sun suit and never got cold for a moment. My wife who gets cold much easier than me wore only her bathing suit and lycra.

Jim

limeyx:
Just got back from diving 77F in Mexico and dove dry -- very very comfortable.

I hate diving wet.
What did you wear under it?

LAJim:
Rick:

You probably saw my FL thread -
I didn't, Jim. But I'm headed there now.

Spent christmas in Kona on the Aggressor. Dove a 3mm and was chilled most of the time. Instruments said 79 degrees but It was on my wrist and I think a bit on the "hot" side. My wife dove a 5mm and she was okay. It wasn't unbearable or anything, but I was definitely chilled on the last dive of the day. I wore a hood for a few of the dives and that made it just about right. I don't get cold too easy (live and dive in PNW) but I was definitely chilled without the hood. It seems that 78-79 degrees is about my 3mm limit for multiple dives. Just came back from Belize where the water was 80-81. Perfect in the 3mm.

Enjoy the lava.....

I carry a 5/3 hooded vest whenever I travel to the warm and wet as a possible add on.

Jim

Ben_ca:
You go commando :11:
Suit Squeeze!!!!!! Augh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom