Drysuit LP Inflator Hose

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dusty61

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hello,
I am new to drysuit diving, I just bought a used drysuit - its a a bare drysuit. I needed a hose so I went to my LDS and said that all drysuit hoses have to be ordered in specifically for the suit. I was under the impression that all the hoses are the same (same connection as in my BCD) From what I see online, you can get a generic hose and I think the dive shop is full of $hit. Can someone tell me if this is a specialty item or not??

Thanks!
Dustin

There are some older drysuits that use a CEJN connection to the drysuit inflater valve.
Most modern drysuits use either the Apeks or Si-tech drysuit inflater valve.
Both of these work with a "normal" QD LP inflater hose. It's the same connector for a standard BCD power inflater.

Two issues that you'll want to pay attention to when it comes to a drysuit inflater hose:
  • Length of the LP inflater hose - my drysuit hoses measure 30-32 inches in length. The hose needs to reach comfortably from your LP port on the first stage reg to your drysuit inflater valve (center of your chest).
  • Ease of disconnecting the hose while wearing thick gloves - my drysuit hoses have either the Dive Rite "butterfly" plastic wings or the Si-tech ribbed plastic grippy surface near the collar. Other drysuit hoses (DUI, etc.) have a built-in metal collar that makes it easy to detach. Alternatively, you can install an inexpensive plastic flange release ("hose hat") on top of a standard knurled connector.

I recommend ordering the drysuit inflater hose online. You'll get better pricing this way. In the past, I've spent $25-$40 for a drysuit LP inflater hose.

Hope this helps...

Yeah thanks - my drysuit is the same connector as my bcd and every other dive shop stocks them so i think the dive shop i initially went to is full of it

As far as I know, there are two basic inflators and you need a hose that will fit THAT inflator -- just as you need a hose that will fit the specific wing inflator. HOWEVER, again, as far as I know, you don't need a special hose for each suit -- if I did, I'd be in trouble when I change suits! I just find a hose that fits and use it.

If its the basic LP inflator you can just use any lp inflator hose that will reach. You can get a special drysuit hose that has a flow restrictor in it to prevent runaways in the case of a stuck valve and that may be what they were talking about.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom