Drysuit materials

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BioLogic

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi folks,

I know this has been asked before, but my situation is a bit different from previous posters'; and it's the situation I'd like to ask about.

We (my husband/buddy and I) are considering drysuits. We're going to get the training and rent some (got to have the card to rent here) before making the investment, but I'd like some opinions going in.

What material would you suggest, and why? Here's where I am: We're in the Midwest. We want the suits to extend our dive seasons, and secondarily so we can do West Coast diving on some future vacation. That means it's likely to be somewhere between cool and cold topside during most of our use, with water temperatures from mid 30s to mid 60s. I'm a fairly small person, so although I have no trouble with my usual gear I'm not excited about having to put on a ton of lead. I'm pretty flexible, so ease of entry is not my biggest worry. I'm generally easy on gear, but I have a problem with wetsuit knees ripping out on me (Sabbath thinks it's because I tend to squat and stretch there quite a lot instead of kneeling) and don't want to have the drysuit have the same issue. We'd rather have good than cheap, but there is a budget for the project. What do you think?

You might want to check and see if you can attend a DUI Dog Days first. They have a lot of suits available and you can do a test dive for $10-40 bucks (depending on location). You don't have to be drysuit certified, and they can help you choose the type that might work best for you.

I love my Whites Fusion. I know they have Demo Days, you would have to call your closest dealer to find out where/when.

I like the fact that you can change how warm you need to be. 32F - 82F, no problem. The suit itself has no warmth - it's just a shell. So for my local diving, I don't get in until 40F (wimp?), and I also dive at 70F (water doesn't get warmer than that around here) and I can use the same suit.

Hi folks,

I know this has been asked before, but my situation is a bit different from previous posters'; and it's the situation I'd like to ask about.

We (my husband/buddy and I) are considering drysuits. We're going to get the training and rent some (got to have the card to rent here) before making the investment, but I'd like some opinions going in.

What material would you suggest, and why? Here's where I am: We're in the Midwest. We want the suits to extend our dive seasons, and secondarily so we can do West Coast diving on some future vacation. That means it's likely to be somewhere between cool and cold topside during most of our use, with water temperatures from mid 30s to mid 60s. I'm a fairly small person, so although I have no trouble with my usual gear I'm not excited about having to put on a ton of lead. I'm pretty flexible, so ease of entry is not my biggest worry. I'm generally easy on gear, but I have a problem with wetsuit knees ripping out on me (Sabbath thinks it's because I tend to squat and stretch there quite a lot instead of kneeling) and don't want to have the drysuit have the same issue. We'd rather have good than cheap, but there is a budget for the project. What do you think?

In all likelihood you'll be looking at shell drysuits comprised of trilaminate or compressed neoprene, as they will give you the best range of movement as well as the widest temperature range (it all depends on the undergarments, really. A discussion for another thread. :wink: ).

The "squat & stretch there quite a lot instead of kneeling" doesn't make a lot of sense to me as an explanation for ripped out knees in a wetsuit. Kevlar knee pads should do the trick in any case.

Bonne chance,

If you're going to rent a few times you'll quickly get a feel for which type you prefer. Crushed neoprene has some inherent warmth but you still have to use undergarments. Trilam (shell suit) has no warmth but is probably easier to get into and move around and you need an undergarment there as well of course.

Shell suits have one advantage in moving from waters with different temps in that all the warmth is in the undergarment so you could use one in Florida if you wanted to.

I've had a couple of shell suits and prefer those but it's really personal preference and whatever fits you well.

As far as price, there is a range with both styles.

Maybe you need knee pads, maybe you just need a suit with a little give, maybe you just need to quit doing whatever you're doing to rip out those knees.:D

The kneepads aren't the problem in themselves -- mine look fairly pristine. But when the knees stretch, all the stress goes to the stretchable neoprene right where it meets the unstretchable kneepad, and they rip there.

Does crushed neoprene also tend to tear at stretch points? That was my real concern.

The kneepads aren't the problem in themselves -- mine look fairly pristine. But when the knees stretch, all the stress goes to the stretchable neoprene right where it meets the unstretchable kneepad, and they rip there.

Does crushed neoprene also tend to tear at stretch points? That was my real concern.

re: wetsuits, wondered if you had tried a Henderson thermoprene? kneepads seem a bit thinner and more forgiving/integrated with regard to that stretch at the edges of the pads...

those are some cold waters. I personally cannot stay warm in a shell. But then Im the biggest cold wuss you ever met. I spent an ungodly amount of coin on undergarments.... shooot I should open a store to sell the ones I dont use anymore!
Plus I like the way my custom fit Neoprene swims way better than the shells I've owned. I switched and now use my Neo in the coldest of water with 300gram Polar Fleece and NEVER get cold even with long deco.
I am very partial to the HighTide line of Neoprene drysuits or the DUI shell's.
As a sidenote I use my Neo in water up to 70 degrees.. beyond that Im wetsuiting.

DUI Dog Days at Mermet Springs on Sept 26 and 27th

Homecoming College Reunion that weekend, a "can't miss" event, especially since we have friends we haven't seen in 25 years flying in to see us... Mermet is a 10 hour drive from here.

We do have a DUI dealer that can get us in suits to try from DUI though (Y-Kiki Divers, St. Louis) so we are going to start with that.

Back
Top Bottom