Drysuit or NOT

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My experience with a dry suit was nothing but miserable. I will say that it didn't fir as good as I think it should have. I believe the fit was the cause of a lot of my issue. Getting the dry suit on was a job. The drag added with the dry suit was like swimming against a mild current. The worst part was bouncy. I went on three dives with this suit, once in the pool, one by myself and one with an instructor at the LDS. Trying to release air from the dry suit was a nightmare. Never could seem to get the air to the vent. Twisting, turning and rolling did nothing. Too much air in a dry suit is the same as too much air in your BCD. trying to vent air out my neck seal while on the surface was not fun. I even held my arm up and tried to vent out the air through the wrist seal. I also took note of the other divers, who swore they loved their dry suit, struggling as well. If dry suit diving is supposed to be fun... I want no part of it. I got out of the water and borrowed a 7mm farmer john. Took about 5 mins to change my equipment and get back in the water. The farmer john was much better.

I will say this. If you decide to buy a dry suit, get one that is fitted for you. Fit is very important. And buy more weight

My experience with a dry suit was nothing but miserable. I will say that it didn't fir as good as I think it should have. I believe the fit was the cause of a lot of my issue. Getting the dry suit on was a job. The drag added with the dry suit was like swimming against a mild current. The worst part was bouncy. I went on three dives with this suit, once in the pool, one by myself and one with an instructor at the LDS. Trying to release air from the dry suit was a nightmare. Never could seem to get the air to the vent. Twisting, turning and rolling did nothing. Too much air in a dry suit is the same as too much air in your BCD. trying to vent air out my neck seal while on the surface was not fun. I even held my arm up and tried to vent out the air through the wrist seal. I also took note of the other divers, who swore they loved their dry suit, struggling as well. If dry suit diving is supposed to be fun... I want no part of it. I got out of the water and borrowed a 7mm farmer john. Took about 5 mins to change my equipment and get back in the water. The farmer john was much better.

I will say this. If you decide to buy a dry suit, get one that is fitted for you. Fit is very important. And buy more weight

Was this a rental? I have about 15 dives on my new drysuit and love it. I have had trim and buoyancy challenges, but it's just like any other new piece of equipment. It's just a matter of practice. It does sound like the suit didn't fit and either the dump valve wasn't working or you had something fuzzy on underneath it. I have a White's Fusion and have never noticed any drag.

carrie

Unfortunately, the end of your post basically sums up your problems. Don't let a couple of setbacks deter you from getting into drysuit diving. It really does beat the H-E-Double-Hockey-Sticks out of 5-7 mm of neoprene!

I dive a viking pro and I like it alot. That being said, mine is an older model and is pretty heavy. I am told the newer ones have alot of problems as they are not made in the same place anymore. What I do for abbration protection is to wear a pair of carrhart overalls over the suit. Then everything else goes over the overalls. I especially like the ability, due to all the pockets, to be able to carry more items. And I'd rather damadge the overalls then my suit. This combo has never proved a problem. I also use Dui undergarments.

OK, So now you know I own a viking. The drysuit has afforded me a longer diving season in comfort. I exit the dive totally dry, and under some circumstances, this is a good thing. I was in a situation where a hole had to be cut in the ice for me to gain access. All the while I was under, my tender had to keep the water moving or it would freeze over. When I came out, I was dry and warm. But if you are not diving under those conditions, do you really need a drysuit? A wet suit is very simple, you don and go. If it's got alittle nick or tear, that is in no way, enough of a problem, to abort the dive. Not so with mine. Plus I have to be very careful with the zipper. I already had one replaced and they are not cheap. With the drysuit, I not only wear more weights, I also wear ankle weights. The viking introduces air from the first stage directly into the suit. I am always aware of my attitue underwater. My suit is not self donning, as I enter from the rear. So automatically, I need help. Mine does not have a relief zipper. I do not belief this is a problem in a wetsuit. HA HA HA ! The Vikikng offers no floatation what so ever, unlike a wetsuit. Mine has latex wrist seals and a latex hood. Some don't like this combo, I do. But once again, becasue of the very nature of latex you have to be careful. Mine has a relief valve in the hood, not a problem with my wetsuit. I handle my drysuit, because of it's cost, ALITTLE differant than my wetsuit. If I drop mine on the suits relief valve, and it so happens to break, that's the end of the dive. I could care less if I drop my wetsuit. If you decide to dive dry with a bc, you are going to have a few hoses going on. I have warm water gear and cold water gear, each one set up differantly.

Dry is better than wet, but it comes at a premium, and it's own set of aggravations.

I can attest that I personally DO need a drysuit. The bottom of the quarry I dive frequently is 42 degrees year round below 60 ft depth. Before I got a drysuit, I could only make about a 15- 20 min dive in a 2pc 7mm wetsuit in thos temperatures, before I'd start shivering. It was hardly worth the effort of doing the "neoprene dance" for that short a dive. It is true everyone is different & one's insulation needs are also different. While one may be able to dive a wetsuit & remain comfy, another may not be able to. A diver has to find what works best for them & unfortunately it's usually done by trial & error.

I have only 15 dives and I want to dive more but in kentucky the water is pretty cold after first October to mid may or so. So I go ahead and invest in a drysuit? If so is there one for a beginner that anyone would recommed. Thank you and Merry Christmas to all.

Kyaquaman

go to a dui dog rally. you can find it on the net. as said the right fit is paromount to its comfprt and ooperation. i doubt you are an off the shelf size/shape. at the dui you try it on you dive it and you get measured for a suit thta is fit for you. for the money you invest spend the other 20.00 for a sui rally ticket and get the right one. my suit lists for 3500 and it got to the dealer at 1500. there is a lot of mark up work with your dealer and the price can become very attractive. i left the shop with a top of the line tls350 for well under 2000.

go to a dui dog rally. you can find it on the net. as said the right fit is paromount to its comfprt and ooperation. i doubt you are an off the shelf size/shape. at the dui you try it on you dive it and you get measured for a suit thta is fit for you. for the money you invest spend the other 20.00 for a sui rally ticket and get the right one. my suit lists for 3500 and it got to the dealer at 1500. there is a lot of mark up work with your dealer and the price can become very attractive. i left the shop with a top of the line tls350 for well under 2000.

+1. White's also has demo days, but unfortunately it looks like it was last month in your state. They have not posted dates for 2010 yet, Whites Diving Homepage - Whites Diving.

Back
Top Bottom