Drysuit or NOT

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, today I also dove. The water was 48 degrees & the air was 32 degrees. The dry suit definitely made the difference in comfort,... now if I could figure out what I did wrong with my dry gloves, they leaked like crazy,.... not fun:depressed:

I haven't made the transition yet to dry gloves. I'm still diving my wet gloves with the fingers cut off. My hands have yet to get cold, but that may change as the water temp here drops.

Get the dry gloves Carrie. I have them for my suit and it really makes a difference. I have the DUI zip dry gloves. Like em a lot but I am going to install the SI tech Quick Lock Dry Gloves for my zip seals so I can use my hands and still have my hands stay dry during the dive. Hopefully, Santa will be good to me and I will get what I need for xmas.

As for the original poster, I got certified a little over a year ago. I have a 7 mil, 5 mil, and a 3 mil shorty. I dove those suits in all types of weather for the next 6 months. Then I got my drysuit. What I know realize, I spent about $500 for wetsuits that I wont use anymore and could have used that for my drysuit. If it is to cold for my 3 mil shorty, I go dry. Its the best piece of gear I own. Its worth it to look into the drysuit before you spend your money of wetsuits. Good luck and let us know what you end up with.

This was my first time using them. They are the Si- Tech quick docking ring gloves (can be removed). Lfet glove leaked like crazy & right one had a very slow leak.

Did you find out why the gloves were leaking? I would hate to be in 35-40F water and have a leak so let me know what you find out so when I put these on my suit, I will have less odds of a leak :D

This was my first time using them. They are the Si- Tech quick docking ring gloves (can be removed). Lfet glove leaked like crazy & right one had a very slow leak.

How cold were you hands in 48 degree water in wet gloves? My hands have yet to feel even chilly. I did have a problem with losing feeling in my feet. My feet didn't feel cold and I didn't realize the feeling was gone until I would get out of the water. I was only wearing 3mm neoprene socks. I am now wearing wool socks over the neoprene booties and that made a huge difference.

No, I haven't figured it out yet. I may look at them in the morning. For the dive we did today (about 20 min) it wasn't bad at all. At depth there at the quarry (42 degrees) 20 min is about my limit for my hands before they start getting numb & cramping up.

A drysuit is NOT just a passive piece of equipment like a pair of fins that you put on and go. It takes proper training to learn how to use the suit safely & effectively.

"Let show a few times" is NOT the way to do it!

I keep to it that one does not need a special education if one understands A and O of the diving:cool2:

I keep to it that one does not need a special education if one understands A and O of the diving:cool2:

There is a drysuit training course. I took the class when I bought my drysuit. The SSI book was cheesy and outdated, but my instructor showed me how to get get air out of my feet and worked with me to get my trim sorted out.

I dove the last four dives with a Dry suit. Three of the dives were with a Whites Fusion, and the last on was with a Pinnacle Freedom Trilam. I find Dry suits to be more comfortable. Dry Suits are easy to learn and you get used to the suits very fast. I really don't want to dive with a wet suit anymore.

That's my thoughts!!!

Marc Findlay

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom