Drysuit repair-wish me luck!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DivingCRNA

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Got my $300 eBay drysuit ( with woolie undies) today. It is 17 years old, according to the stamp on the neck seal. The left wrist is torn and the neck is torn. Valves look to be in good shape, but need testing before diving. I ordered new neck and wrist seals, with glue, from North East Scuba Supply today. John was great on the phone. He told me how to replace them myself.

I also order the freeairpress.com book on drysuit repair and maintenance.

So, this post is just a request for good luck and any advice not in previous threads about this topic. Yes, I have run a search and read all the previous words of wisdom.

Diving dry is going to be sooooooo much warmer! The repair is going to be fun too. I really like to tinker.

I will let y'all know how it goes.

my suit was 11 years old when i got it... after repairing an initial nasty (but hard
to find) gash, it has been awesome

be very careful when cutting the wrist and neck seals to your measure. the
measures in the DUI book, for example, are all wrong.

also, you have to make a fine, constant cut so that no "nicks" appear... if they do,
they can compromise your seal

best of luck!

Latex Seal cuts: For years I used scissors. I now only use an exacto knife.

I have a glass that fits into the wrists - so I get a good cut. I have a small (what used to be a very good looking AllClad) pan that is about the size of my neck that goes into the next seal. Perfect cut every time. Desk lamp, moving slow, exacto knife - perfect.

I won't cut with scissors any more.

Ken

Progress report-I went about removing the old seals today, so I would be ready when the new ones came. The first wrist seal I did the heat gun approach.

What a pain in the rear. Hard to do and I felt in constant danger of melting the suit with the gun. I got all the latex off, but there is glue residue that I need to clean up before putting on the new seal.

I cut the neck seal and other seal off with a utility knife and am strongly considering putting the new seals on over the old ones. Any thoughts on this? I can still use the heat gun on the other two seals.

I also have to find something to put in the neck and wrists when I put the new seals on. Any suggestions?

Also, I found a tiny hole in one of the latex socks on the suit. I patched it with aquaseal and a piece of latex.

As far as jigs go for the wrist and neck, 16 oz plastic cups usually red in color and cost about a dollar when they contain cheap bear.:D The best thing I have found for the neck seal was a road cone. Yep the big orange ones in the middle of the road. You need one of the tall ones so that it is big enough around near the base. Sources cups wall-mart, road cone use you imagination.

Enjoy the glue:hippy:

I read a description of someone's seal replacement where they opted to leave the old seals attached to the shell of the suit and the new seals worked just fine.

I think they probably sell a solvent that will soften the adhesive without damaging the shell material. I'm not sure where to get it but wherever you bought the seals will know for sure.

Can you post some pictures of the process?

I bought my suit on eBay for $125. I paid $60 to have all my seals replaced. I think next time I will do it myself. I am in need of a zipper replacement but I don't know if I feel up to tackling that one yet.

You're gonna love diving dry! You might wanna check out the thread on making a ring/glove system for your new suit to keep your hands dry.

Keep us informed!

MRF:
I read a description of someone's seal replacement where they opted to leave the old seals attached to the shell of the suit and the new seals worked just fine.

I think they probably sell a solvent that will soften the adhesive without damaging the shell material. I'm not sure where to get it but wherever you bought the seals will know for sure.

Can you post some pictures of the process?

You're gonna love diving dry! You might wanna check out the thread on making a ring/glove system for your new suit to keep your hands dry.

Keep us informed!

That sounds like a good idea. I will start taking some pics. I do not have any before seal removal pics.

I have the thread on DYI dry gloves bookmarked already. :rofl: I thought it was funny when you mentioned it. We must thik alike.

I tried to put them in here, but they were friggin' HUGE.

They are uploaded to scubaboard in my photos.

if anyone can help me downsize them, I would be greatful!

Quick update-I am having shipping problems etting the new seals.

But, yesterday, I used the dremmel toole on the cuff I removed the seal to get the remaider of the old glue off. It worked pretty well. You just have to work slowly, so that you do not damage the suit.

I dd not try the dremmel where I had cut the seals off the neck and other cuff because the dremmel would meld the latex, I fear.

I have not been here for awhile so I don't remember specifics but last time I was at my lds my tech told me exactly what to use and how to go about doing the best possible seal replacement (in his experience). Next time I see him I will try to remember to ask again and write the info down for you. He gave me the names of the adhesives, adhesive removing agents, etc. He also reiterated that if only one seal exists on the shell it would be fine to place the new one over it (cutting the old seal off at the end of the sleeve). He actually told me that before I got around to asking.

Good luck to you!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom