Drysuit skills?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This year i needed a new suit so i drove from Texas to Florida just to have Doug Mudry at Extreme Exposure size and select everything for my dry suit. Just the fitting/sizing process took several hours...and the suit i have now was worth all the effort. Just something about bone dry and awesomely fit that i love from my drysuit.

This year i needed a new suit so i drove from Texas to Florida just to have Doug Mudry at Extreme Exposure size and select everything for my dry suit. Just the fitting/sizing process took several hours...and the suit i have now was worth all the effort. Just something about bone dry and awesomely fit that i love from my drysuit.

Wow I'm barely able to get $1k out of my wife for this. She would pop a cork, or cap in my ass, if I did that. I wish I could do that.

ScubaSteve really hit the nail on the head.. The thing is-- regardless if your spending 1k or 10k on a drysuit-- IT NEEDS TO FIT!!!... Not only does a ill fitting drysuit make for a less enjoyable time(more drag- heavier-clunky)-- but it also leads to potential buoyancy and safty issues... If the suit is too big you can get really big air pockets-- those shift to the feet and away you go on a out of control assent... Also-- as you move-- bigger pockets of air can move around-- and make it so your fighting more to get into the position you want... You might only have a 1k to spend on the suit- but that is a 1k of your hard earned dollars... Make sure it fits and works..

I say this not to be a "the sky is falling" guy.. Hell-- im the guy that says --- if you learn things quickly and have good intuition-- you dont need the course.. Just practice in the pool/watch the video/practice your skills and dive with another drysuiter if you can(at least for a time or two).. Im saying this more as someone who just went through the same experience.. I originally was going to purchase a XLT suit.. Everything pointed to that size.. But then i found someone locally that sold the suits... I went in and tried on a similar sized suit and it turns out the body of the xlt was wayyyyy to long for me(droopy crotch).. i was a XL(regular) with a extra 2 inches in the legs(long legs-- short body)... Had i just gone with what i was told to use-- well i dont think id be near as happy(or not happy at all).. Im not saying to not buy it online.. But DO YOUR HOMEWORK... Call the mfg and get specific measure guidlines(how specificially do they want you to measure)... Look online and find specific measurements(from other people who got the suit)... then measure -- reameasure-- and reremeasure-- then rerereremeasure till you for sure have consistant numbers... Ask the mfg if they want a inseam to the floor for the measurement-- or to the ankle... Be proactive in this.. Dont just assume its going to come perfect.. make sure it comes perfect.. Do your work and homework now and then enjoy your new suit for years and years of happy -- safe-- use...

The thing is-- regardless if your spending 1k or 10k on a drysuit-- IT NEEDS TO FIT!!! . . .. Im not saying to not buy it online.. But DO YOUR HOMEWORK... Call the mfg and get specific measure guidlines(how specificially do they want you to measure)... Look online and find specific measurements(from other people who got the suit)... then measure -- reameasure-- and reremeasure-- then rerereremeasure till you for sure have consistant numbers... Ask the mfg if they want a inseam to the floor for the measurement-- or to the ankle... Be proactive in this.. Dont just assume its going to come perfect.. make sure it comes perfect.. Do your work and homework now and then enjoy your new suit for years and years of happy -- safe-- use...

Or buy a Fusion . . . :D

I looked at the fusion but my funky body shape precludes this.

sent via nookcolor N2A.

You'd have to have a pretty odd body shape to be unable to fit into any Fusion!

It's something about having a 53 inch chest 5'10" to start with.

sent via nookcolor N2A.

It's something about having a 53 inch chest 5'10" to start with.

sent via nookcolor N2A.

I have a 56" chest and 6'2". My suit is custom and I cannot imagine investing that kind of money and going through the frustration of trying to learn to dive dry in an ill-fitting suit. Do not underestimate the importance of a properly fitting suit and the safety implications of managing an improperly fitting suit.

I'm getting a drysuit and I have neither the funds, nor opportunity to take a class. Would it be possible to get, from the experts, a list of skills necessary to learn to make swimming a DS a positive experience?

Most shops I know of will give you a drysuit class for free if you buy the suit.

flots.

Back
Top Bottom