Drysuit undergarments - PNW Waters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is whatever was out there a few years ago, I’m not aware of any newer/heavier stuff.

I tend to use a heavy wool base layer and this as the insulating layer on top, if I’m feeling the cold I may add a waffle type fleece layer between the wool and the mesh tech.

I don’t think it matters how tight of loose it is, if to big and it got creases I don’t think you would feel it, but a closer fit is my preference.

sizing seems to be pretty spot on.

I use these and sometimes use my Hollis AG450 stuff, I think I prefer the Hollis in colder water.
What are the water temps you are diving in?

Low 50’s most of the time.
do you ever get into the 30's?

If so, what do your layers look like?

The drysuit isn't snug anywhere but I am worried that the bulk of too many layers might make it too tight for dressing and getting in the water.
Forty years of drysuits here, plus 10 days in the PNW almost every year...

So right off, if the suit is too small for you, it's not the right suit for you, but it sounds like it's worth a go. (Note to first-time drysuit buyers... try them on with the undies!)

The base layer does three things... Obviously, it adds some warmth, but more importantly, it also provides a wicking layer to draw moisture away from your skin. Diving a drysuit is a little like stuffing yourself into a zip-lock bag. You will sweat on warm days while you suit up, and maybe even when you come up from a cold dive to a warmer thermocline. I know that this isn't really a thing in the PNW, but here in the Great Lakes, a 150' dive in the summer can be 39° at depth, but 68°+ above 20'. If you were a camera housing, you'd fog up... (Not to mention stinking hot and humid on the shore/boat.)

Related to this, the third thing base layers do is protect you fancy undies. You don't want to wash that stuff any more than you have to, so the base layer helps to keep your personal stench out of your main undergarment.

In my case, I have two or three sets of good old polypropylene or wool blend underwear. Basic long-johns and long sleeve shirts. Anything that you might wear in the winter to stay warm when skiing or something will do. You don't want cotton, and I don't think I'd do 100% wool either. Go for something synthetic that dries fast and is easily laundered. Think Under-Armour type stuff, but without the brand name surcharge. Any outdoor store will have lots to choose from.

In the PNW, you're going to want a 400 gsm weight of underwear. The companies that sell this stuff will all argue that their type is the best, but the reality is, all this stuff does is provide loft. It needs to provide an air space between your meat and the suit and hence the water. Thicker is warmer, but the trade-off is bulkiness and bouyancy as you displace more. 400 weight seems to be the sweet spot that the industry has adopted. Double layers of this would be super warm, but you would need a 100# weightbelt

The undie suits seem to come in a couple of basic materials... thinsulate and that foamy stuff Neither holds up forever, but both are warm to start. The main thing is that it fits you and allows mobility. You need to be able to move... reaching valves and all that.

Where you get some wiggle room is by adding another mid layer. Perhaps a light sweatshirt or fleece vest or even a heated vest. Like you, I have a pretty good tolerance for cold and my base layer and 400 weight Thinsulate SANTI undies keep me toasty. You PNW guys all think your water is freezing cold, but I call it "temperate", but it's definitely chilly as it is on land in the off season.

Of course budget always comes in to this. I kinda need to replace my SANTI BZ400s since they're getting kinda skinny and worn. None of this stuff is cheap, but IMHO, a decent drysuit and good undies are the best investment any cold-water diver will make. Even here in the Great Lakes, I dive pretty much all year. Less in the winter of course, but you simply can't spend 50 minutes in 36° water in a wetsuit without it being a dangerous sufferfest.

Hope this helps!

do you ever get into the 30's?

If so, what do your layers look like?
No F’n way, I’m old and can’t take it anymore We tend to make long 80 minute + dives with those temps I would be layered up so much I would have to be lowered into the water and use a scooter because my legs wouldn’t move.

Back
Top Bottom