Drysuit vs Wetsuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jseyfert3

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm planning on buying my own gear for diving once things start to warm up. Right now I have a 3 mm custom wetsuit (full), mask/fins/DC so next I'm looking at BCD/regs and cold water protection. I plan to get a BP/W from DSS but Tobin requires buoyancy of your wetsuit for sizing wings, and hands down I need something warmer than my 3 mm for local quarry/lake diving. On vacation, in 81 °F water, I was perfectly comfortable in my 3 mm custom wetsuit (Aquaflite), not too hot or too cold, dives where 35 min max up to 50'.

So for quarries I'll definitely need something warmer. The question is, should I get a 7 mm wetsuit or go dry? Certainly I don't want to spend the money on a drysuit, I have school loans that will enter repayment in June (I will hopefully have a job that should more than offset the payment by that point, but it's still a lot of money I have to pay back), and BCD/regs for me and my wife will already be a good chunk of money.

Since I've already got a custom fit suit from Aquaflite, the $100 sizing fee would not apply to a 7 mm suit from them so I could get a 7 mm fullsuit for as little as $207 + S&H. I can add options such as a 7 mm sleeveless jacket to go on top over my core for $51 extra, arm and leg zippers for $30/pair, sidestripe, etc. If I need the suit I'd probably need a hood and gloves, so that adds more (but of course I'd need those for dry too).

I'm 6'5" and just 155 pounds, so I don't fit any off the shelf wetsuits. My thinking is for dry I probably wouldn't want off the shelf either because anything off the shelf for my height seems to be for a 280-300 pound person. I've heard people talk about loose suits having a big bubble that makes trim really hard and something you fight all the time.

For temp I currently live in central IL so diving at Hauge Quarry or Mermet Springs, though I may move to the WI/IL border soon and possibly Madison WI area in the next few years.

My thinking is for now, go with the 7 mm wetsuit and sleeveless jacket (so 14 mm over my core), for quarry/lake dives, and save up for a drysuit for when that wears out or if my diving depths and times lead me to requiring a drysuit. Other thoughts?

At 6'5" you will have a hard time finding / fitting an off the shelf drysuit. By hard time, I mean it doesn't exist that I'm aware of. Your plan seems reasonable to me, but my personal preference is to dive a drysuit. I did dive a 7mm wetsuit for a good while before going dry, and I could tolerate the cold, but never was really comfortable until I went dry. Others have had different experiences. Even if you are warm under water in the wetsuit, you will get cold on the surface between dives if the surface temperature is low. That is one of the big advantages of a drysuit. You may want to look into a whites / aqualung fusion as you may fit an off the shelf drysuit as they are a dual layered suit that has a big loose bag for the actual dry portion of the suit, but uses a neoprene / lycra outersuit to snug everything up and keep the bubble manageable. That is the type of suit that I dive and it works well, but has its own downfalls / issues.

I never dove wet at all as I don't fit the stock wetsuit sizing (short and round! :wink:). I went with a custom drysuit. USIA Techniflex, for example - see my avatar - is about $1300 base price and custom is only $150 on top of that. I was fortunate that my dive shop in Plainfield is their largest dealer and helped me get it in a shorter time frame so I could have it for my OW dives. I love diving dry. I'm only going to be diving Midwest quarries and the Great Lakes, so it made sense to go dry from the beginning. I did my dry suit specialty at same time as OW.

It also depends on your cold tolerance.

If you were a stock size, I'd suggest looking at a semi dry suit. Some people consider that an acceptable middle ground.

How much local diving do you plan to do? Also keep in mind that as a newly married man you are likely to bulk up a bit in the coming years. :p

for me? I would go straight to drysuit. It has the advantage of not impacting your wing lift requirements because it maintains a constant buoyancy with depth *assuming you don't buy a non-compressed neoprene suit*, and you'll also be able to extend your dive season from a comfort/safety aspect. Custom fit suits aren't that expensive as long as you shop around. O'3, USIA, Otter, etc. all have reasonably priced suits. For USIA, it would be worth the drive up to Chicago to Dive Right in Scuba to get fit and check the suits out

Another vote for going dry. It may - or may not - keep you somewhat warmer below the surface, but the yuuge difference is topside. While the wetsuit diver shivers uncontrollably and slowly turns blue after the dive, the drysuit divers just chill in their undersuits, with their drysuit hanging off their waist.

I have enough issues with donning a wet hood or a pair of wet wetgloves for the second dive of the day...

It also depends on your cold tolerance.

If you were a stock size, I'd suggest looking at a semi dry suit. Some people consider that an acceptable middle ground.
Very, very low. I have no fat to insulate me, and am typically silvering after 15 minutes in water my wife can sit in for hours.

I'm not, but Aquaflite can do semi-dry as well, and has my sizes already. In my understanding the semi-dry, at least from Aquaflite, gets rid of the cloth covering on the inside of the neoprene which helps it "stick and seal" to your skin (and makes it harder to get on and off).

How much local diving do you plan to do? Also keep in mind that as a newly married man you are likely to bulk up a bit in the coming years. :p
I'd like to do a good bit of local diving. Practice and train, so I can enjoy the warm water dives without task loading distracting me from the enjoyment. And since the great lakes aren't far away, wreck diving would be cool (I know I'd need a drysuit for that).

Hmm...

My Plainfield dive shop is Dive Right in Scuba, so if you're looking at a drysuit, make a drive up on a Saturday and talk to Chris, the manager.

I think I would go straight for the dry suit. Once ou learn it you will never go back. I use a shell suit DUI tls350 and it works for me. I have gained a lot of pounds since i got it and i can still use it.

if you don't have any cold tolerance, then you really have to go dry. I know it's a bit more money, but the comfort and safety advantages for you are going to be worth it

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom