Drysuit zipper +

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

np251

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi there

My 'new' 2nd hand oceanic drysuit came today- apparently only has one dive on it. I have noticed the brass zipper clasp has a considerable amount of green tarnish on it. I know this is normal for brass, but should it be like this after 1 dive? And the zipper is extremely hard to pull- both hands i really have to struggle, and thats with the suit off. No way am i going to get that fastened without a buddy. Will repeatedly opening and closing, plus some (lots of) wax help loosen the action?

Any info appreciated.

That and some zipper wax to lubricate it. Even my brand new DUI zipper was stiff when I first got it.

The zipper will loosen up with usage provided you keep it well lubricated.
For lubrication there seem to be various schools of thought. I bought a large block of beeswax. I close the zipper and then rub the block along both sets of teeth on the outside, then operate the zipper a few times.
Then again I know a lot of people that prefer liquid silicone. They generously spread it over the whole zipper and then operate it a few times.
I've seen manufacturers recommendations for both methods.
I've also seen it commented that if you use a solid lubricant like beeswax then you shouldn't rub it in on the inside of the zipper.

Hi there

My 'new' 2nd hand oceanic drysuit came today- apparently only has one dive on it. I have noticed the brass zipper clasp has a considerable amount of green tarnish on it. I know this is normal for brass, but should it be like this after 1 dive? And the zipper is extremely hard to pull- both hands i really have to struggle, and thats with the suit off. No way am i going to get that fastened without a buddy. Will repeatedly opening and closing, plus some (lots of) wax help loosen the action?

Any info appreciated.
you can replace the zipper

Use a 10% solution of white vinegar to remove the green stuff. (corrosion) off the zip. Soak it for 5-10 min then just scrub it help remove it. Then rinse well. the vinegar is an acid and needs to be cleaned off. Then maintain it with the bees wax. Silicone can damage latex so best kept away from your suit

Brass corrodes with time, even if it isn't wet. You can scrub the verdigris off, or use a brass cleaner. They make one that's already impregnated in a fibrous swab, that's really easy to use -- can't recall the name of it offhand, but you can get it at a lot of tack shops.

New zippers are stiff, and they do loosen up with time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom