Drysuit ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

T&L, I would assume you are diving locally? Warmth is a big issue for us PNW divers.

Dry suits come in sort of three basic types: Neoprene, compressed neoprene, and laminate suits.

Neoprene suits are typically inexpensive (although the High Tide suits made locally are not), and the suit has some insulating value of its own. But like wetsuits, neoprene drysuits compress at depth, so you lose some of that insulation, and you lose the buoyancy they have at the surface, too. They are heavy, can be quite stiff, and dry slowly.

Laminate suits are light and dry quickly, but they are also relatively fragile and prone to puncture. They have no intrinsic insulating capacity, so your warmth is dependent on the undergarments you use. This is nice if you travel to a variety of water temperatures, because you can wear a lighter undergarment in warmer water.

Compressed or crushed neoprene suits are thicker than laminate suits, heavier, and dry more slowly, but they are lighter than neoprene suits and do not have the buoyancy issues. They offer some small amount of insulation as well. They're more difficult to travel with, because of the weight and the slow drying. They tend to be tough and resist puncture. They are often among the most expensive suits.

In addition to deciding upon the material of the suit, you need to choose a style -- back zip (easy to fit, but requires a buddy to get in and out of it), front zip, or diagonal zip. Each has its advantages and disadvantages. Many people prefer a suit that is self-donning (no help required to do the zipper). Some suits have telescoping torsos, which is very nice for getting into the neck seal without contortions, but gives you extra fabric and the possibility of more gas trapping.

Seals can be latex or neoprene. Latex seals have a lot of stretch and latex neck seals tend to seal well, but may irritate the neck and are relatively short-lived. Neoprene seals are softer and warmer, but are more prone to leak some. Neoprene seals are less fragile, and can be revised if they stretch out. It's harder to find a shop to install or replace them. There are very few dry glove systems that will install on neoprene wrist seals. DUI suits offer zip seals, which are seals which can be field replaced.

I would suggest visiting a number of shops and talking to them about the drysuits they carry, and trying on a bunch of them. Although you will not really know how well a suit works until you dive it. (BTW, I'm a Fusion owner, and my husband dives a Bare compressed neoprene suit.)

None of the SoCal divers I know who use the DUI zipseal drygloves have ever complained about leaking at the zipseal junction. Then again, they aren't removing them in-between dives either. Too much trouble to do that anyway.

Yes, they leave the drygloves mounted/attached and don the drysuit that way. It's not that big a deal, so long as you set all of your gear up prior to donning the suit.
I think the Viking dryglove system works great. That's what I have...but the DUI zipseal system works, too.

No leaks here either. Have 5 friends with the same suit as I do and no leaks from the zip seals. YRMV

I just got a DUI TLS350 and took advantage of that $770 worth of free stuff they have going on right now. I did have to wait almost two months to get my suit but I am really happy with it. I don’t have any experience with any other drysuits so I cant compare but the deciding factor for me was DUI's reputation.

I need an advice concerning drysuits.
Which suit to prefer: Mares Polar Fit or Aqualung Tri Light?
Both are trilam (or bilam) "shell" suits.

I have tried Aqualung Tri Light 2 weeks ago at White sea and it fits me well, though my friend used Mares Polar fit and he was also pleased with his drysuit.

My only concern about these suits (especially Mares Polar Fit) is its durability. As I understand, Mares Polar Fit's outer layer is nylon 420 den, which is rather non-durable (compare with cordura or 1000 den nylon).

You can say that it has sufficient durability if I am not a wreck penetration diver. But as for my wetsuit I have noticed that it became a little bit fluffy in some places (for example, back, where weights from weight belt touched nylon layer of wetsuit) only after 10 days of daily usage in Egypt!
Maybe it is partly because of my PADI rescue course with its exercises with belts, BCs etc., but nonetheless it is the concern for me.

Also I am interested is trilam drysuit more durable in general than compressed (non crushed) neoprene dry suit or not? Is it more repairable?

Thanks!

I just got a DUI TLS350 and took advantage of that $770 worth of free stuff they have going on right now. I did have to wait almost two months to get my suit but I am really happy with it. I don’t have any experience with any other drysuits so I cant compare but the deciding factor for me was DUI's reputation.

agreed

Dry suits have so many options and variables that it is almost necessary to either take a leap of faith, or engage in serious shopping -- going to demo days events, renting various models, etc., to find the features that you really want.

Unlike wet suits, dry suits really have a huge range of diving characteristics. It's like shopping for a car, there's no substitute for getting out and taking some test drives.

Some features I think get overlooked -- pockets and what type? I decided to get a folding pocket on one outside thigh of mine and a pocket large enough for a spare mask on the other. I'm extremely happy with that choice. Some people like their vent on the standard left shoulder, but there are other options such as wrist vents. Pee valve or not? Front or rear entry? And on and on.

I have two drysuits- a DUI TLS 350, and a CLX450 love them both- try to get to one of thier events (Dogdays) and try out a suit. In Minnesota we dive in temps at 36 degrees in the winter- and the highest temp in the summer is 67. Each of the suits are used for different types of dives-one suit has full boot, and the other has rock boots. Both have zipseals which are great. I have three weights of underwear depending on what kind of diving we are doing. I think comfort in the size of suit- the fit, and the type of boot/ glove situation is really critical. DUI offers great service and repair.
Just my two cents- get to one of their events-

dynobob

Hi,
I've dove a number of suits here in Oregon and Washington. Started with a neoprene suit with same seal, then a Gates vulcanized rubber suit, a tri-lam USIA of local manufacture. For the past 4 years I have been diving a DUI TLS 350. Each had its good and bad points.
The neoprene seals on the neoprene suit would leak whenever I would grab something or turn my neck too far. But it was the sleekest in the water and very fast donning. In the summer I could dive in shorts and a t-shirt. No sweating in 400 gram fleece while donning and doing checks! For extra warmth in the winter I would just wear some ploypro.
The Gates was my favorite, but also the most expensive. It dried in minutes after a dive, was pretty stream lined and fairly tough. It was vulnerable to punctures, but a repair was like patching a tire. Put some glue on, slap a patch on, go diving in 15 minutes. I had a friend show me how to replace the seals so it was almost maintenance free. Only problem was the shoe size. They weren't available in custom sizes. You got what came on the suit and they were usually huge. I have heard that you can now choose the boot size.
Did not like the tri-lam. Very slow in the water, bulky, odd air traps. May have been a bad fit.
The DUI has been a very nice suit and also expensive. Tough, well made, and I love the rock boots. With the other suits I always worried about cutting a boot on an oyster shell while shore diving. A friend got a cut from one in his Viking and had to send it back to Sweden for boot replacement. The rock boot takes care of that.
Go to the Dogdays and try a DUI, visit some shops and see what they have to rent, bum off of friends.

Back
Top Bottom