Drysuit ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How much $ do you have to spend?

Try (demo or rent) before you buy. Check out Whites or DUI demo days. I bet that something is planned in the next few months in the Seattle area.

Realistically, you need to decide your budget first. $800? $1200? $2000? Sky's the limit?
Then figure out the kind of material (trilam, bilam, compressed or crushed neoprene). There are advantages and disadvantages to all of these suits.

Is this going to be your first drysuit? (The Whites Fusion dives much like a wetsuit -- less of a learning curve.)
Are you going to be diving primarily at local sites? (Trilams and bilams are typically lighter and travel "better.")
Are you going to be crawling through wrecks or over sharp rocks in your drysuit? (Crushed neoprene is heavier but also sturdier than trilams or bilams.)
Do you have an easy-to-fit body type for off-the-rack sizing? (If not, you might be deciding between costly custom sizing or a Whites Fusion.)
Finally, you'll have to address undergarment options (ask local drysuit divers), boot choices (attached boots, neoprene booties + rockboots, Turbo soles), and whether you'll have to purchase new fins with larger foot pockets to accommodate rockboots (if that's what you're using with the drysuit).

I think that we will need a little more information to suggest anything in particular. What I can say is to check out a few dive shops, look at different brands, compare them, and see what fits into your budget.

I bought my drysuit last minute, but had been doing some research beforehand. I have been told by numerous people, including the owner of my dive shop, that I should go with a DUI drysuit. I looked at the different ones, along with Pinnacle and Mares. I decided that I wanted a trilam suit over a neoprene suit. I loved the price of the Mares polar fit suit, but was not impressed with the suit and felt that there may be durability issues. I then looked at the Pinnacle suit, and was very impressed with the durability(actually bomb proof look and feel) and then I looked at the DUI FLX5050 and it just didn't stand out to me like the Pinnacle. I then compared the price on the DUI and the Pinnacle. The DUI suit was going to be around $2300 and was going to have to be ordered. I was also going to need rock boots, undergarments, etc. The Pinnacle suit was around $1700, but because it was my size and the last one there, they told me they could do it for around $1500. With that they threw in the undergarments, rock boots, and the drysuit class. So That made my decision right there. I got the Pinnacle Evo 2 suit, 4th Element undergarments, and DUI rock boots with that.

Brent

Let me ask this a little better. What are some of the key points I should look/ask for in purchasing a dry sit

Let me ask this a little better. What are some of the key points I should look/ask for in purchasing a dry sit

Warranty!!!! The most important thing,besides fit. Now that you have the $$ down:D.Look at a DUI suit, great suit, warr. fit. They have an extras package thrown in for free. I think it is $770.00 worth of free stuff.

Warranty!!!! The most important thing,besides fit. Now that you have the $$ down:D.Look at a DUI suit, great suit, warr. fit. They have an extras package thrown in for free. I think it is $770.00 worth of free stuff.
@keithdiver: Are you implying that the DUI warranty is better than the warranties offered by the other drysuit manufacturers? I've found the big name manufacturers to be quite comparable in this regard.

Back
Top Bottom