Drysuits. Neprene v. Fabric

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

By fabric you mean a shell suit. I like shell suits. They are lightweight and easy to get into. Your underwear is what keeps you insulated. The drysuit is just a shell and offers little exposure protection. They are generally durable but can get pinholes if you are not careful. Sizing on these is generally easy unless you are very tall, very heavy, IOW's not an easy fit. You want to leave room for the underwear. The shell material is fast drying (an hour or less) and packs well. You can get latex or neoprene seals.

Neo Drysuits are very heavy. They do not pack easily and take a long time to dry. Fit tends to be more critical on them. They are good if you dive in very cold water. They require less underwear as they insulate a bit. If your suit is leaking they offer more protection.

I like shell suits. I am moving this to the Exposure Protection forum as you will get better response. Most folks here are not diving dry.

PS I see you live in CA. Strangely enough many divers in CA dive wet. They are fools! We have been going to CA for a few years to dive and we dive dry. We are often the first in and last out. Why? Cause we are comfortable and everyone else is freezing! More CA divers should dive dry.

I agree with Ron, i'm ordering my Trilam suit very shortly.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom