DS-51 strobe positioning woes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AbyssalPlains

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi all,
I have been fiddling around with the positioning of these strobes and somehow it is always hit or miss. I can't seem to be able to predict whether an exposure will be lighted correctly or totally off. I want to find a pattern that works. Sometimes the coverage is just fine, but often I get one correctly exposed image and the next shot is very dark or overexposed, even though I moved the cam very little or not at all between shots. It appears that with these particular strobes, a difference of a few inches between strobes and subject can mean the difference between a nicely exposed image and utter darkness. And even in extreme close-up, I can't stop the lens down past f16 or I lose too much light. Shouldn't I be able to stop my 50mm macro lens down to f22 and the strobes still deliver enough power?

The set-up I see in many uw magazines, where the strobes are a foot and a half away from the cam to the left and right and pointed outward, may just not be feasible with the DS-51, I'm beginning to wonder. I started out with the strobes far apart but pointed inward and got a lot of backscatter. The next time I pointed them slightly outward, with the effect that virtually no light hits the lens. I know that the DS-51 have a limited angle of coverage, but I am seriously wondering if I should replace at least one of them with a DS-125. For close-ups at a foot or less they work fine, but it appears that as soon as I go even moderately wide-angle it is a complete hit-or-miss business. And in most shots with moving targets I don't get a second chance to adjust the strobes and try again.

Any ideas? Should I just keep the strobes very close to the cam? Also, I have been wondering whether it makes a difference to place them far apart, but straight ahead (or even slightly inward) or close together and angled outward?

Anybody have any starting points? I have set flash sync to 1/125 and use the strobe diffusers.

Some info here on strobe placement - I realise you understand the backscatter issue, maybe the aiming tips will help.

tip_edge_light

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom