DSLR question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

friscuba

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Looking at what's coming available soon I'm thinking about saving up for either one of the new 8mp digicams or possibly the Nikon D70.

If I'm reading things right there is one thing about the DSLR's that is freaking me out to the point I can't see buying one. Are the LCD screens not usable for preview and framing/composition? I've read a few things lately that seem to imply this. If they are only for viewing what you have just taken a picture of, in my book that's more or less worthless. Some of my better shots with my little D-40 have been at odd angles at nearly arms length using the LCD for framing in situations I'd never be able to get my head near a more traditional viewfinder. Even a viewfinder magnifier like I've seen with some housings doesn't seem like it would help nearly as much as a LCD preview.

Just curious if I'm reading things correctly.

later

Steve

The LCD monitor is only for reviewing the picture. You will have to compose through a view finder so you will definitely not be able to compose with the camera at your armlength away. This is certainly one of the major disadvantage of dSLR.
However the view finder does have one definite advantage as you can see if the picture is in focus and assess the depth of field much more accurately as LCD screen does not have enough resolution for that, especially for macro.
I also find manual focus almost impossible while looking on lcd monitor and is much easier done on view finder.

Having used both, I find the viewfinder much better (more accurate) to use than the LCD.

Even the S2's tiny little viewfinder is easy to use - the housing viewfinder magnifiers work very, very well.

I have to admit that I don't.....in saying that I don't know that many local divers - wot with me being one of those selfish, solo diving, photographer types!!!

fri

it hasnt been really explained to well here, but let me try to explain it in a easy way.

the reason that DSLR's dont have live preview lcds is that they hinder the ability of the camera rather then help it(i will explain this in a minute). the eye level viewfinder that you look through on a standard slr and DSLR is basically the same as the LCD screen on a camera the only difference is the size plus it actually shows you what the image is seeing and isnt shifted by the video feed.

now back to the live preview screen. in most consumer cameras there is a live preview screen is that is the only way most people can tell what they are taking a image of is because the optical viewfinder is so small or suffers so bad from paralax it makes it useless.

to get the live preview on the screen the lcd is directly tied into the CCD it self and is providing a constant feed for the LCD. Now when you taking a imagewhen you go to focus the image (half press) what happens is that the live feed is stopped, the camera runs its focussing program, and then indictes a focus then you can press the shutter all the way down. when you press the shutter down all the way the camera will quickly double check its focus then finally cut off the video feed and zero out the voltage to the CCD then finally takes the image.

this whole process is what contributes to such a shutter lag in digital cameras, this is were the DSLRs(Film SLRs) have the advantage in that when you press the shutter in a split second the image is taken.

i hope this helps and i didnt confuse you to much

friscuba:
Are the LCD screens not usable for preview and framing/composition? I've read a few things lately that seem to imply this.

Steve - the reason is that the SLR's mirror is down in front of the camera sensor. The mirror only flips out of the way on exposure. It is inherent by the design of a SLR camera. Although the LCD is a bigger display, I also agree that the viewfinder provides a crisper view for focusing and composition.

I am in the market to purchase a DSLR. Can anyone recommend a certain one, and the best place to purchase it. I would of course, need a underwater housing and accessories to go with it.

And, the big question is, how much will everything cost?

Thanks!
Jessica

nusspli:
And, the big question is, how much will everything cost?

Thanks!
Jessica

As the old saying goes... " If you have to ask, you can't afford it"

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom