dSLR Upgrade Decisions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hotpuppy

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm looking for input from current owners and users of EOS 60D, 7d, and 5d MK ii who actually dive the cameras.

First a little background. I just finished a week of diving with my G9 in an Ikelite case. I continue to be frustrated by the limitations of the g9 in terms of shutter speed, noise in dive conditions ( low light) and glass (or lack of it). It's a nice camera but it's not competition for my EOS 40d. I arrived at the G9 as a compromise with what I wanted to spend when I became interested in dive photography. I wasn't impressed with the various "dive cameras".

My interests are primarily stills, macro, reefscape, critters (big and small), with some video.
Above water, I like macro, landscape, and street photography. I also do product photography as needed for work and for ebay listings.

My current lens collection is all EF glass, so that hurdle is a non-issue. Partly luck, and partly knowing the value of good glass as it relates to my images.

The jury is out on FF vs APS-C. Crop is one of the tools I have always used so I'm not hung up on proportions. I've read most of what's out there and realize it's a religious argument.

The 60d looks like it would meet my needs but I'm a little leary that it is a new camera line not really related to the 40d/50d.

The 7d is a little more than I need, but a nice camera. The multiple modes of video are interesting from a play with perspective. Especially the slow-motion. But that is just a curiosity.

The 5d MK ii is the ultimate but affordable camera for me. A 1dxxx is out of my range.

I am working on improving my photography and have taken an interest in micro-stock. I view micro-stock as another outlet for my photos that might return some money.

At the end of the day, the 60d and 7d seem very similar. I do not do sports photography, but sometimes it's nice to shoot several frames and sort them out later. I know I would love to have done that on several things this week.

I have seen the images up close from a 5d and I know it takes beautiful pictures. I just am not sure how it compares against the 7d. There is a wild difference between the 40d and the 5d.

I realize that some would say I should buy a housing for the 40d. I've thought about it, but I find it a little difficult to invest $2K in a housing for an older camera that doesn't shoot video. I think it makes more sense to update the camera so that I can get a longer lifespan from the housing.

I also have been frustrated on some pictures from the 40d. Namely there is some noise from time to time. I also feel like when I do crop I wind up with images that are a bit small for microstock purposes. Sometimes it's necessary to crop. An example would be when you get a shot of something but can't get close enough, or you want to remove something or someone from an otherwise usable photo.

One of the pluses to the 60d is it uses SD cards which are cheap and get along nicely with my laptop without extra gear. However, the Compact Flash cards might be faster and besides I already have a 32GB class 10 card.

Full Frame vs crop. I realize this is a big deal to many but I feel like dive photography is challenging already. This is really a field of view issue as it applies to dive photography and I think it's less of an issue in dive photography.

I've pretty much ruled out the 5d MK II but I want to make sure I'm not missing something. It's a great camera, but I think there will be something along the lines of a MK III very soon.

So here are my questions:
1) Did anyone opt for a 60d over a 7d that they use for dive photography? If so, what drew you that way?
2) 7d vs 5d for dive photography? Pros and cons?
3) 60d or 7d is anyone using it for underwater video? What are your thoughts? Do you switch modes during your dive? I sometimes find that there are moments best captured in video and like having it "in my pocket" so to speak. I am not doing broadcast work, but I want my work to be clean. I think the slow-motion technique that the 7d brings to the table might be very interesting with some of the wonders of the dive world.

As for Glass.... I primarily shoot a 17-40 EF/L USM and a 28-135 EF. I have a MP-E 65mm and a EF 75-300mm

I will post some pics from the current dive trip tonight or tomorrow. I am in Cozumel right now with limited bandwidth. Heading back in about an hour actually. :)

I really had not. The t2i is also know as the 550d which is a step down from the 60d. I've seen a few reviews that basically have the escalation as 550d then 60d then 7d. Really, I need to rule out the 5d Mark ii and then determine if the 7d is a better fit for my needs then the 60d. :)

My understanding is that the 60D has not sold particularly well because it's not all that different from the T2i and T3i yet costs more.

Here is a link that compares the two. Not a whole lot of difference for underwater shooting really. You can also use the site to compare other cameras too.

If you're set on the higher end cameras, the 7D sounds like the right one. It's gotten great reviews and sold very well. The real improvement in image quality comes when moving to the 5D though.

Basically the only difference between the 550D and the 60D is the 60D has a flip-able rear screen. Go to Backscatter an read their review of the T2i and 7d. The 550d has a function in the video mode called Crop, great for macro video.

Hi Hotpuppy

You did not mention which kind of strobes you have. I was also comparing the 7D & 60D a month ago for the Ikelite housing cost are almost the same for both models.

Then I realised my optically triggered Z240 and YS01 will not work in TTL mode with an Ikelite housing and I will not buy Ike strobes just for that. For optical triggering you will need an Allu housing that will cost quite a bit more.

Unless you go for the T2/550D - Sea & Sea makes the RDX550 Poly carb housing with optic trigger functionality and then you have access to the whole range of S&S ports that are used on their Allu housings.

I have a T2i that I purchased a couple of months ago. I have been using it extensively to learn it it well before I go uw with it. I have a housing from Water Shot for it and plan to use it as soon as the water warms up a bit more here in the frozen Northland. I really am having fun with the camera and consider it the ideal uw camera from a price/risk perspective. The lenses I have are the EF-S 60mm for macro and the Tokina 10-17 for WA.

I would love to have a 7d for above water, particularly sports and ski photography. That said I could not justify taking that pricey of a camera underwater.

I have been reading that the 7d has issues with overheating. Seeing as I live in Texas and frequently do photography outdoors, that is a problem. I'm also concerned about heat build up during a dive.

The 60d and the 7d are essentially the same with the 7d having a better focus system. While that is nice, it handicaps the lenses I currently have.

I'm leaning towards a 5d mk ii. I already have the EF lenses required, so it isn't cost prohibitive for me.

Basically the only difference between the 550D and the 60D is the 60D has a flip-able rear screen. Go to Backscatter an read their review of the T2i and 7d. The 550d has a function in the video mode called Crop, great for macro video.

The biggest difference IMO is the 60D has a rear command wheel, and the T2i doesn't. The lack of the rear command makes the T2i a deal breaker for me, and the 60D much more appealing.

Using the crop mode WILL degrade your video. Buy a tripod, and a longer lens instead.

The 5d Mark II is the cream of the crop.
You can't take anything away from the 5d Mk II. However a few points -

1) Its a 3 year old camera. If you were looking to buy the 'best' in computers for video editing lets say, would you buy a 3 year old desktop? Imaging sensors have come a long way in 3 years.

2)More importantly, it's full frame.This is great if you're shooting for NatGeo, but since most of us aren't, it's kind of overkill. For full frame, you'll find lenses, and ports significantly more expensive (for wide angle anyway.)

Having shot the 7d and the T2i, I preferred the 7d. But this was before the 60d was around. If I were buying a Canon SLR today, I'd chose the 60d.

Tony

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom