dSLR Upgrade Decisions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Depending on when your next trip is (and your budget) you may be able to wait on a 5D mkII until a MkIII comes out. I got my 5D + housing from a guy who was buying the 5D MkII the week they were released. Jot older technology, but saved $$$.

5d3 = unannounced and theoretical.

Supposedly Canon's supply chain is back up after the earthquake, but new models may be a year off. I hope I'm wrong.

I've been waiting for the 5d2 to be replaced. It has quite nice IQ (though if I dust already own canon bodies and glass I'd be tending towards Nikon), but the autofocus system is what, 6 years old, slow and reportedly inaccurate?

That's fine for posed and landscape work, but wildlife and underwater it may be a deal breaker.

The 5d2 sensor + 7d AF is the consumer dream camera, but it would compete with the 1ds3, so the price-point of such a model is a huge question mark.

I hope they replace the 5d2 with an eye towards Nikon's D3S.

Canonrumors.com is suggesting something mid to late year for the 5d3 and a modest jump in MP with the 7d focus system. The only question at that point is if they can solve the overheating issue that seems to plague the 7d. I've looked at plenty of comparison shots and the camera are very comperable on noise..... field of view the 5d takes it..... but I have a real issue with an $1800 camera that overheats during normal use. Put it in a plastic box and take it swimming and this doesn't sound like it will get any better.

If you enjoy reading creative writing.....
5D Mark III « Canon Rumors

You can see what the lottery thinks the 5d mark iii will be. There are rumored to be some trial units in the wild but you know Elvis is rumored to ride Manta Rays in Madonna's swimming pool..... so obviously not all rumors are true. :)

I pop over there from time to time. Never seen anything rated higher than CR1 on a 5d3.

Personally, I'd rather they don't increase the resolution. Concentrate on IQ via dynamic range and sensitivity.

I have used all three mentioned cameras underwater in a variety of Subal and Nauticam housings. For me the main advantage of the crop sensor cameras is the ability to use the Tokina 10-17 and the better video compared to the 5dMII. Until the 8-15 comes to the market getting that view on a full frame camera is quite tough. Then there is the size and weight issue and the fact that I only use optical strobes now which makes the 5DMii not applicable. The 7D is to my mind a lot nicer to use than the 60 and for me the lack of a second control dial on the Rebels make them far too painful to use if you are constantly changing both aperture and shutter speed. What is coming down the pike, no one except some Canon engineers knows and there will always be something new far too soon. So for me, the 7D makes the most sense given what I like to shoot and the fact that I also shoot the Inon insect eye lens that can only work with the Canon 60 and that is an EFS lens.

Bill

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom