DSLR vs. PnS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

And if that slowness presents no real world, in use problem? Then what?

I have used Olympus om-1 and om-2
Nikon F80 and F100 both underwater where I didn't find the viewfinders to be a limitation to well composed images.

And a couple of rangefinders above and below.

Sorry I did not get the first question.

Then you must be doing a much better job if you can see very well from your F100. I tried my Nikon 8008s (HP viewfinder like the D2X) in a Stomm housing, but gave it up because the Nikon F3 with the action finder was just a much better setup for U/W shooting.

Actually, on the topic of my photos, I am VERY happy to take critique, and any suggestions for improvement are much welcomed. :)

Foregt it Kim - people have been asking f3 for his photos for years, but he is yet to post a single image. I would love to see his photos as well.

I do agree with f3 that a common theme in this forum is people assuming getting a SLR will make them a better photographer when they have not yet mastered the basics (lighting, exposure and composition).

I have just sold $2000* worth of photos to a magazine shot on my little SP350. If i had shot with a SLR I am sure I would of got the same or better results, with less noise, but for me its not worth it: the size and cost only make sense to me if I become semi-pro and need to sell A4 magazine quality photos, and even then the new P&S can capture that quality, albeit requiring a lot of work and a lot more hit and miss.

I certainly don't consider myself a good photographer by the standards here - but my first photos are here and my most recent are here. F3 - care to show and tell?

Cheers,
Rohan.

*hong kong dollar

No I am not, but it looks pretty good to me...you can scroll through the images.
???? You can scroll through the images on a 400D. What's that got to do with the view finder or image quality?????

???? You can scroll through the images on a 400D. What's that got to do with the view finder or image quality?????

I take you're still kinda sore?

Foregt it Kim - people have been asking f3 for his photos for years, but he is yet to post a single image. I would love to see his photos as well.

I do agree with f3 that a common theme in this forum is people assuming getting a SLR will make them a better photographer when they have not yet mastered the basics (lighting, exposure and composition).

I have just sold $2000* worth of photos to a magazine shot on my little SP350. If i had shot with a SLR I am sure I would of got the same or better results, with less noise, but for me its not worth it: the size and cost only make sense to me if I become semi-pro and need to sell A4 magazine quality photos, and even then the new P&S can capture that quality, albeit requiring a lot of work and a lot more hit and miss.

I certainly don't consider myself a good photographer by the standards here - but my first photos are here and my most recent are here. F3 - care to show and tell?

Cheers,
Rohan.

*hong kong dollar

That makes perfect sense. You are not trying to make it sound like a good PnS is the equal of a good DSLR, simply that great pics are possible with a good PnS.

Z..

DSLRs require a LOT more knowledge and skill than a P&S. I already posted that a while back. Modern P&S presets do all sorts......lighting, exposure, white balance, sharpening....all in camera if you want. You just point the thing in the right direction and push the bloody button.

Photography is something else.

The OP wanted advice on a DSLR. Who is anyone here to suggest he might not know what he's trying to buy? Or is prepared, and able, to learn how to use it?

But at least let's talk about the REAL skills that might be required, as well as the camera functions that might help you U/W. I don't see "live view" as a matter of photographic technique. It's a question of eyesight. Many real people using real cameras under real water state categorically that they can compose perfectly well with a DSLR viewfinder.

This is kind of ridiculous. It's like one person claiming that it's impossible to ride a bicycle, while everyone else is yelling - "bollocks, I do it all the time".

Anyone who buys a DSLR thinking that it will automatically give them better shots is probably in for a shock. But anyone who tries to claim that to use a DSLR in a meaningful way U/W without live view is talking out of the wrong end IMO. :wink:

Cheers,
Rohan.

*hong kong dollar

Here are a few from slides on loan to a local travel agent, now if you get me a around trip ticket to the Philippine I would gladly retake them in digital. :D

Online Personal Albums by LAtravel - VirtualTourist.com

LAtravel Panglao Travel Page - VirtualTourist.com

Modern P&S presets do all sorts......lighting, exposure, white balance, sharpening....all in camera if you want. You just point the thing in the right direction and push the bloody button.

Does it also do the COMPOSITION as well, because I cannot seem to find the COMPOSITION button on this freakin camera?!!! :rofl3:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom