DSLR vs. PnS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Does it also do the COMPOSITION as well, because I cannot seem to find the COMPOSITION button on this freakin camera?!!! :rofl3:
That's why I said you have to point it in the right direction.....duh!!!!!

Do you want it to do EVERYTHING for you????? :shakehead:

Here are a few from slides on loan to a local travel agent, now if you get me a around trip ticket to the Philippine I would gladly retake them in digital. :D

Online Personal Albums by LAtravel - VirtualTourist.com

LAtravel Panglao Travel Page - VirtualTourist.com
Hmmmm....and these are yours? Taken with a housed SLR film camera?

Okay......

And these are examples of good composition?

Maybe a few more taken with digital setups to support your digital photography arguments?
(It's nice to compare apples with apples and oranges with oranges....and hard to do from fish butts......)

So what about the human eye? The eye lens is even smaller than the point and shoot camera’s lens and the retina or image sensor is not that much bigger, why is the image quality so clear in a normal human eye?

I'm not certain that your comment here makes any sense to me. How is it that you know the human eye's image quality is so clear? What are you comparing it against? And how? All you ever know, EVER, is what you see through your eyes. As far as I know, it hasn't been possible for people to see through other eyes. So of course, anything else you might look through is never going to be any better than what you would see through your own eyes by themselves.

Let's start with the concept that it can never be clearer than the human eye because that's what you look at the viewfinder / screen / photograph with. There's a kind of tautology there.

Keep in mind that the lens in the human eye is adaptive, it can change shape. This is being worked on for mechanical lenses: link to New Scientist.

Dr. John Penn, of the University of Arkansas eye center calculates that an adult retina has 126 million receptors. He points out that not all of these are activated under all lighting conditions, to wit, "as light environment increases in luminance, rod response becomes saturated long before cones are maximally functional." And you've two eyes so that's about a quarter of a Gigapixel, with some truly amazing adaptive post processing.

Here's a good start on understanding the resultion provided by the rods and cones: Link.

And how did you get from my comment of:

I am a big fan of DSLRs, in fact I was the one pushing for the 60mm macro over the 105mm from my past post, I am just not convinced on its wide use in U/W photography.

Note: I was being specific on UNDERWATER Photography!

To this comment:

“You just can't convince me that I'll shoot a better photo with a P&S than I will with my
DSLR on a regular basis.”

Or are you just trying to put words in my mouth?

So was I

Ahhhh No I did not assume that, I did not assume anything, reread my post. I am stating a fact that It take more TIME to look through the viewfinder with a DSLR when used U/W .

Ok, show me the facts. Where are the studies? You will never convince me, a person that makes a living as a pro, that I can't compose with my DSLR as fast as with my P&S. By the time my P&S has locked onto focus I've shot 20 frames with my DSLR.

Composition is a major part of photography but a well composed frame is useless if you've missed the moment.

Ok, show me the facts. Where are the studies? You will never convince me, a person that makes a living as a pro, that I can't compose with my DSLR as fast as with my P&S. By the time my P&S has locked onto focus I've shot 20 frames with my DSLR.

exactly.

That's why I said you have to point it in the right direction.....duh!!!!!

Do you want it to do EVERYTHING for you????? :shakehead:

Heck, my three year old can point the camera in the right direction and snap a picture!

Just pointing it in the right direction is not Composition!
Where you put the subject in the frame and at what angle…that’s Composition

http://photoinf.com/General/KODAK/guidelines_for_better_photographic_composition_rule_of_thirds.html

Or are you really talking about photographic skills of a three year old? :rofl3:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom