DSS and Oxycheq Pics side by side

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I can vouch for DSS standing behind their product . . . and I have seen a couple of threads of Oxy not doing the same.

I have to say that, for warm water diving with minimal exposure protection, the 17 lb DSS wing is an absolute delight. Because it's so tiny, it vents instantly, and it's as close to having no wing at all as you can get. I'm really sad that I no longer dive with thin exposure protection any more, and I can no longer use it. It is not enough lift for a steel tank and any significant neoprene, but of course, that's not what it was designed for.

One lovely thing about it is that it packs absolutely flat and takes up virtually no room in luggage.

One lovely thing about it [DSS 17# wing] is that it packs absolutely flat and takes up virtually no room in luggage.

I agree with that. I like how the DSS wing completely flattens when not in use. The Oxycheq wing (even the 18# one) holds a 3D "shape" and thus takes up more room when packing (well, maybe you *could* crush it flat but I don't want to; the DSS wing naturally flattens with no crushing necessary).

That cuts both ways. A slightly over sized Oxycheq (30# when 18# would do) will flop less and vent nicely because of the 3D shape. I bought the 30# to dive locally (cold) and planned to buy a smaller wing later. So far I did not find a scenario where the 30# Qxycheq got in the way so much as to justify another, smaller wing. I agree though that if you ONLY dive warm water, the 17/18# should be the first choice.

I agree with that. I like how the DSS wing completely flattens when not in use. The Oxycheq wing (even the 18# one) holds a 3D "shape" and thus takes up more room when packing (well, maybe you *could* crush it flat but I don't want to; the DSS wing naturally flattens with no crushing necessary).

The difference may be due to the fact that the Oxycheq has a zipper while the DSS does not.

The difference may be due to the fact that the Oxycheq has a zipper while the DSS does not.

I think that also the Oxycheq is cut in more of a "3D stand-up" shape (partially due to the zipper I imagine), and the fabric is much stiffer. That's not to say the DSS fabric is lesser, but just that it is more supple (in fact I like it better).

As background: I have both the Oxycheq 18# and the DSS 17#. I prefer the construction/features of the DSS overall, and would rather dive it, but because of some probably-unique-to-me fit things, I dive the Oxycheq wing.

When I was first shopping I thought about trying to get a larger wing to be more "all encompassing," but then I changed my mind and decided to buy one for my immediate future specific use (warm water), and then to buy another wing later if/when my use case changed or expanded.

James, thanks for the feedback. The idea of aquiring multiple wings for different diving conditions is scaring my wallet.

:scared:

Can you tell me if the wing you are referring to is the Torus? I'm looking at a smaller wing to put in my carry on and am wondering if 17# of lift would be ok using a 3mil shorty. Only diving in the tropics and plan to use a SS plate and hope to get rid of weight around my waist with that and help w/ my trim issues using a jacket. Currently Use 7# w/ a 3mm shorty and boots w/ a jacket BCD.

Thanks much

Dave

I have to say that, for warm water diving with minimal exposure protection, the 17 lb DSS wing is an absolute delight. Because it's so tiny, it vents instantly, and it's as close to having no wing at all as you can get. I'm really sad that I no longer dive with thin exposure protection any more, and I can no longer use it. It is not enough lift for a steel tank and any significant neoprene, but of course, that's not what it was designed for.

One lovely thing about it is that it packs absolutely flat and takes up virtually no room in luggage.

Last edited:
Can you tell me if the wing you are referring to is the Torus? I'm looking at a smaller wing to put in my carry on and am wondering if 17# of lift would be ok using a 3mil shorty. Only diving in the tropics and plan to use a SS plate and hope to get rid of weight around my waste with that and help w/ my trim issues using a jacket. Currently Use 7# w/ a 3mm shorty and boots w/ a jacket BCD.

Thanks much

Dave

Dave,

Required wing capacity is a function of the buoyancy of your exposure suit.

A 3mm shorty is about 3 lbs positive and a al 80 at 500 psi is about 3 lbs positive, your current jacket BC is also likely positive by 1-3 lbs.

If you are currently diving with ~9 lbs of total ballast, 7 in lead and 2 for your reg, then my estimated numbers cannot be far off. :)

A SS plate, harness, reg and full al 80 will be about -10 lbs. 17 >10 so you can float your rig if you ditch it.

A 3 mm shorty that's 3 lbs positive can only loose 3 lbs of buoyancy if you crush it completely.........

You want to start these dives negative by about 4-5 lbs (which your plate, harness and reg will provide) That means you need to use 4-5 lbs of the capacity of your wing to stay eyelevel at the surface, a bit more to get your chin out of the water.

3mm suits and al 80's is why we make 17 lbs wings.

Tobin

3mm suits and al 80's is why we make 17 lbs wings.
Tobin

And I will add that the DSS 17 lb wing is also sufficient to handle a 5mm suit and an additional 5 kg on the belt.
I have verified it personally in warm water (down to 22C) numerous times :-^).

Back
Top Bottom