DSS backplate and Backplate Weights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HybridDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello Tobin
Just wondering is it worth it to buy the backplate weight plates? This would take all the weight off my belt, which it would be nice to dive dry without the belt. I would just like to know what you think of this?
Chris

HybridDiver:
Hello Tobin
Just wondering is it worth it to buy the backplate weight plates? This would take all the weight off my belt, which it would be nice to dive dry without the belt. I would just like to know what you think of this?
Chris

The bolt on weights may or may not be a good solution for any one diver. First, of course, you need to determine your total weighting needs. Second you need to play around with your trim weighting requirements.

Lets say for example that you determine that with a particular tank and SS plate that you need an additional 14 lbs of ballast.

I recommend taking 14 lbs of weight (ankle weights, soft weights and zip ties, drop weights, etc.) and try different placements. Wrap a couple ankle weights around the tank neck and see if that helps your trim etc. If you find that moving more weight off your waist and up over your lungs improves your trim, then the bolt on weights are worth consideration. The 8.1 lbs weights would leave you with ~6 lbs in a belt.

If you find that you can achieve horizontal trim with all your extra ballast in a weight belt do it, belts are cheap.

Remember that if you move weight from your belt to your rig you may need a larger wing, as your wing must also float all the ballast atached to the rig.

In cold water I do not advocate having all your ballast attached to your rig.

Tobin

Thanks Tobin for the info.
Chris

Tobin,
I love my DSS rig and it trims out excellent with my small ss plate, 20#lcd wing, and any additional weight on waist. I am taking a saltwater trip next month and will need an additional 4-6lbs on that trip. Other than adding it to my waist (which isnt going to be comfortable and will probably mess up my trim), I am looking at buying the weight plates... I guess my question is: other than the disadvantage of adding another 6.4 lbs to my luggage (ugh) are there any other "cons"? The math on weighting versus wing lift eludes me -- will I have enough lift with my 20# wing?
Cyndi

Edit: Apparently board having issue with duplicate posts today...

c-monkey:
Tobin,
I love my DSS rig and it trims out excellent with my small ss plate, 20#lcd wing, and any additional weight on waist. I am taking a saltwater trip next month and will need an additional 4-6lbs on that trip. Other than adding it to my waist (which isnt going to be comfortable and will probably mess up my trim), I am looking at buying the weight plates... I guess my question is: other than the disadvantage of adding another 6.4 lbs to my luggage (ugh) are there any other "cons"? The math on weighting versus wing lift eludes me -- will I have enough lift with my 20# wing?
Cyndi

Cyndi,

I cannot comment unless I know the "rest of the story"

What size plate are you using? (Small I assume)

What tank are you currently using

What tank will you be using on your saltwater trip? Please be specific.

Will you be using the same exposure suit?

Tobin

I think I have it figured out by reading some other threads and will probably just put the extra weight needed on my cam bands rather than have to pack an extra 6.4 lbs in my luggage. However, just for building my knowledge and future reference:
I use a small plate.
I am weighting for an AL80 since thats what I will be using on this vacation (not the 130 I sometimes use at home).
I am weighting for a 5mm suit since thats what I will be using on this vacation (not the various other suits I sometimes use).
In this setup I use 12 lbs total, which means 6 on in my pockets in fresh water, so will prob only need another 2-4 lbs for salt water not the 4-6 lbs I previously stated...

c-monkey:
I think I have it figured out by reading some other threads and will probably just put the extra weight needed on my cam bands rather than have to pack an extra 6.4 lbs in my luggage. However, just for building my knowledge and future reference:
I use a small plate.
I am weighting for an AL80 since thats what I will be using on this vacation (not the 130 I sometimes use at home).
I am weighting for a 5mm suit since thats what I will be using on this vacation (not the various other suits I sometimes use).
In this setup I use 12 lbs total, which means 6 on in my pockets in fresh water, so will prob only need another 2-4 lbs for salt water not the 4-6 lbs I previously stated...

C, When you say you use 12 lbs I assume that in addition to the ~5 lbs of plate and harness, and ~2 lbs or regulator. Thats a total of 19 lbs of ballast. About 3 of this is required to offset the buoyancy of a al 80 @ 500 psi, the balance, 16 lbs should be the buoyancy of your 5mm suit.

16 lbs for a 5 mm on a small person in fresh water is on the high end.....

You will need to add 1 lbs of ballast for every 40 lbs of diver and gear when you move from fresh to salt. I doubt that you and your gear are only 80-120 lbs. A typical singles rig is about 60 lbs alone. (tank, reg, plate, suit, fins mask weight belt etc.)

You still should be fine with a 20 lbs wing. A full al 80 is ~-2, reg -2, plate and harness ~-5. With out adding any ballast to your rig your at about -9. I would not recommend adding more than about 6-7 lbs to the rig. That maxes your rig at about -16. A 20 lbs wing will float your rig.

Your 5 mm suit is most likely about 12 lbs positive, so you have enough wing to offset a fully compressed suit.

I'm not a big fan of weight pockets on the cambands. If they are mounted low (close to the plate) they may interfer wit the wing fully inflating, and if you mount them high (away from the plate and wing) you will raise you center of mass.

Tobin

No actually I meant 12 lbs total. With my 5mm suit I carry 6 lbs lead weight in pockets attached to my waist belt. All other weight is coming from my rig, reg, etc. Using your calculation of 5lbs for rig + 2 lbs for reg that would mean 13lbs total ballast not 19. My current 5mm is a few years old therefore could have the buoyancy charactaristics of a 3mm at this time, although I have a new one on the way so that will change my weight requirement slightly.

I do see your point on cam band weights and will take that into consideration.

c-monkey:
No actually I meant 12 lbs total. With my 5mm suit I carry 6 lbs lead weight in pockets attached to my waist belt. All other weight is coming from my rig, reg, etc. Using your calculation of 5lbs for rig + 2 lbs for reg that would mean 13lbs total ballast not 19. My current 5mm is a few years old therefore could have the buoyancy charactaristics of a 3mm at this time, although I have a new one on the way so that will change my weight requirement slightly.

I do see your point on cam band weights and will take that into consideration.

Ok,

Looks like I misunderstood your total weighting. Your numbers make better sense for an "experienced" 5mm suit.

The LCD 20 will still be a good match for this setup.

Tobin

Back
Top Bottom