DSS BP+W Configuration

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiverEngineer

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,

I am 5’ 8”, ~170 pounds, with a stocky build but I could lose 15-20 pounds of “organic buoyancy lipids”. :D

Most of my diving is in warm water above 75F degrees in a 3mm wetsuit, but I may do some occasional dives in the low to mid 60s in a 5mm wetsuit. I will probably be using a single AL80.

Do you think an LCD 20 single tank wing and a medium stainless steel backplate would work for the environments mentioned above?

Thanks,
DE

Hi,

I am 5’ 8”, ~170 pounds, with a stocky build but I could lose 15-20 pounds of “organic buoyancy lipids”. :D

Most of my diving is in warm water above 75F degrees in a 3mm wetsuit, but I may do some occasional dives in the low to mid 60s in a 5mm wetsuit. I will probably be using a single AL80.

Do you think an LCD 20 single tank wing and a medium stainless steel backplate would work for the environments mentioned above?

Thanks,
DE

At 5'8" you need a medium plate. With a 3mm suit (or 5) + a buoyant tank + a slightly buoyant you, the ballast a SS plate provides is a benefit.

Any BC needs to be able to float your rig with a full tank and be able to compensate for the maximum possible change in buoyancy of your exposure suit.

With a medium SS Plate, harness, regulator, and full al 80 your rig will be about -10 lbs.

Even a 5mm suit on a guy your size is unlikely to be more than about ~12 lbs positive.

That makes either a Torus 17 or LCD 20 reasonable choices for a wing. I'd probably go with the 20 if I saw more cold water diving in my future.

Recap:

Medium SS Plate
Hogarthian Harness
T-17 or LCD 20 wing
(cambands and wedge blocks included)

Tobin

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom