DSS single wing elbow placement

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scuba_mc

Contributor
Reaction score
Does anyone with DSS single wings have any issues with the placement of the corrugated hose elbow? It sits in the middle of the wing and I wondered if this interfered with the 1st stage?

Somehow I doubt this is a major problem in reality or these rigs wouldn't be so popular... however would appreciate some feedback anyway.

We have 5 torus wings in my family, wife, 2 daughters, 1 SIL, me, been diving them for a long time. Never a problem, never has even come up. For ease of routing I loosened the nut at the elbow and turned the inflator hose about 1/4 turn to the left so it goes directly over my left shoulder.

I have never had a problem with the center placement of the elbow.
Using an aluminum 80, which has a shorter neck than steel tanks, with a scuba pro Mk25 1st stage, I just don't encounter any issues.
Some of this stuff is the result of forum over-thinking.

The "real"* hazard is when that backplate/wing BC pitches you forward while at the surface. LOL :wink:

*Only "real" during internet diving.

Last edited:
This question/issue has been raised in threads many times. I predict the replies will be 50% "no, I've never found it problematic" and 50% "it bothered me, so I replaced the DSS wing with one that has the corrugated hose offset more to the left." I'm in the former camp.

I think your logic is sound. If this were really some kind of design flaw, DSS would have far more unsatisfied customers than it does.

Never bothered me or my husband.

you can also rotate the elbow of the hose so the corrugated hose comes out at a slightly different angle if it is coming straight up, but no it's never been an issue on the rigs I've used

:admingreet: yes, but not the end of the world...

edit:

it may be more the combination of first stage, tank, wing, and where you wear it.... I have clearance issues with a MK-17 DIN....

Last edited:
I have the LCD 30 and it has not yet bothered me.

Back
Top Bottom