DSS Torus Rig

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SpiderSense:
without actually diving with the Torus yet, i too feel the inflator hose is shorter than i'd like. i tried to practice the manual inflation exercise (tank empty, bc empty, at surface) and it took a few different hand position/grips to be able to push the button and hold it to my mouth. this will definitely require lots of practice.

i'd like to stay tuned to comments on this as well.

Shorter hoses can take a bit of getting used to, particularly if you are accustomed to the very long hoses typical of most jackets.

As long as you can orally inflate the hose is long enough, why would you need more?

It's also quite possible that your back plate is too low, that makes the hose seem shorter.

My advice is to dive a few times, the position of the gear in the water is different then when wearing it on land.

Tobin

i can orally inflate, but it takes work. meaning, i have to turn my head to the right angle and have the hose positioned just right. its definitely a stretch to do, but easier with an empty wing. at the surface (after ooa), i would guess the tank, with an empty wing, would pull down on the rig even more than wearing on land without a tank. if in a panic (like after surfacing from ooa), a few more inches would probably make a huge difference.

i'm sure it will be fine. i havent actually used the rig, so i'm not complaining.. yet. :)
this is just one of those mental notes i need to keep (i virtual dive in my head alot and keeping notes). we'll see how it goes after a week in Bonaire. can't wait!

cool_hardware52:
As long as you can orally inflate the hose is long enough, why would you need more?

It's also quite possible that your back plate is too low, that makes the hose seem shorter.

My advice is to dive a few times, the position of the gear in the water is different then when wearing it on land.

Tobin

SpiderSense:
i can orally inflate, but it takes work. i havent actually used the rig, so i'm not complaining.. yet. :)

We have sold many, many wings with exactly that hose. "Too short" is a common first reaction. The vast majority find the hose we furnish to be just right after a few dives.

It's clearly different from typical "drag on the reef" hoses common in Recreational diving.

Correct lenght inflator hoses don't dangle, don't imped the use of your left chest dring, are easier to dump from, and don't blow around if you use a scooter. Some of these benefits may not be immediately apparent, but it's worth the effort to adjust.

Resist the temptation to convert your BP&W back into a Jacket BC, just because it's more familar.

Tobin

cool_hardware52:
We have sold many, many wings with exactly that hose. "Too short" is a common first reaction. The vast majority find the hose we furnish to be just right after a few dives...

I have to agree. The longer hose just has more to get in the way. It did seem odd to me too at first, but after a couple of dives with it I was fine. After that, switching back to my BC with the longer hose, it seemed absurdly long. All it has to do is just reach your mouth when you turn your head, any more than that is wasted length.

cool_hardware52:
Resist the temptation to convert your BP&W back into a Jacket BC, just because it's more familar.

Tobin

Well put, why even go BPW if your are going to do something like that!

cool_hardware52:
We have sold many, many wings with exactly that hose. "Too short" is a common first reaction. The vast majority find the hose we furnish to be just right after a few dives.

Tobin

I almost hate to confess this, but at 15 dives or so with my DSS singles rig, I was convinced it was too short. Now when I dive a Halcyon wing with its longer hose, I am convinced the Halcyon hose is too long . . .

You will get used to the short hose.

dsteding:
You will get used to the short hose.
Betchya've used that line before ... :no

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I like this line the best...

All it has to do is just reach your mouth when you turn your head, any more than that is wasted length.

Dirty mind!

Anyway as the OP, let me say the hose length is fine.

let me clarify something, just in case. i'm sure i can 'get used to the length' for using it as a deflator. i'm not saying its too short to use as i havent used it in diving yet. and not trying to turn it into a jacket bc.

my concern was using it orally at the surface after an ooa event with no air in the tank nor wing. i don't think i can 'get used to it' unless i practice that exercise when i dive. i'm sure it will work, i just have to pay more attention to how i grab the inflator and making sure my lips reach the opening. but if you guys are saying this isn't a problem, then i feel better. i'll still have to make a mental note since practicing on the surface, my natural grip on the hose required me to regrip several times before i could push and orally inflate. with more practicing, and i hope i don't have a problem.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom