DSS Wing Nipple vs. Traditional STA wingnut?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mahjong,

My experience was similar to yours (and yes, I'm short-waisted and use a small backplate). I love the DSS rig, and the engineering that obviously went into it, however I did have a similar experience in needing a bit more room and to move the inflator elbow. I actually hadn't mentioned it because I'm pretty sure it would only affect a very, very small percentage of people. On the other hand, I didn't really want to just not get back to the OP, either, so I was a bit torn. But now that you have related your experience...

What I ended up with is an STA with a small spacer beneath it. This brought the tank slightly away from my back, and the way the slots are set up on the STA I was also able to lower the tank slightly. I have a wing with a side-elbow because I also had the "clinking." With these two adjustments everything fits nicely.

BUT, I really miss the open cam slot innovation and the overall quality construction of the DSS wing (better drainage, nicer fabric, no corrodable and scrapey brass grommets, no "stiff" fabric to get chafed), and if I were built like "most people" I would definitely be using it. In fact, I like the DSS wing so much that I have not been able to part with it, even though I'm not using it.

I wasn't bothered by not having a zipper, and even though my current wing does have a zipper, again, I would choose the DSS wing. Yes, with the zipper I can open it to look at the bladder. On the other hand, the whole wing doesn't fit quite as nicely around the tank, nor does it fold as flat for transport. My feeling is that if one has to get into the wing, well, I suppose one could just un-stitch it. I was able to pack it better in my dive bag, so it was less likely to be damaged (because I could just remove it from the plate and pack it on top right there on the boat in just a couple of seconds).

I can't speak to doubles because I have never dived them.

Blue Sparkle

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom